SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Anyone used ABS Slurry to fix side panels etc

(1/2) > >>

AshimotoK0:
Someone on the CB250RS Facebook closed group suggested I try ABS slurry to fix cracks and broken mounting lugs on plastic side panels etc.
I thought back to the 90's, when I couldn't buy the correct angle guttering joints for my 1030's house and some old sage where I was working at the time (who had an immaculate BSA Gold Flash Combo) cut a section out of one to reduce the angle and bonded it back together at my required  angle with a paste made up out of the waste material dissolved in MEK. They bonded beautifully and are still on my old house when I went past earlier this year.

Has anyone tried this? I guess the panel materials will have changed over the years. I think the 250RS panels are ABS but I seem to remember my 750K0 panels and airbox were made from some form of styrene. But I guess the theory is the same... dissolve a piece of the same material in a suitable solvent and use that to repair the panel.

This what the FB guy said: Quote :  "Google abs slurry,,, and make some .... glue it on with it ,then build it up round the crack ( takes a day or two to fully cure) permanent fix ... I  glued 2 halves of a panel together with it .... you could bend it as much as the parent material , it doesn't glue, it bonds. I have tried epoxy, fibreglass glues, nothing does it like abs slurry"

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how-to-make-abs-juice-glue-and-slurry

Bryanj:
Only reason i can think of it not to work is if the plastic was"de natured" by uv light(cant think of another waybto say that)

cbxman:
Ash,

Floplast do an MEK pot with brush to fit their plastic pipe stuff together. Get it B&Q I used some spare I had recently to repair a plastic door hook.  Keep the top on tight...it evaporates really quickly.

Jerry

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on May 11, 2024, 09:40:59 AM ---Only reason i can think of it not to work is if the plastic was"de natured" by uv light(cant think of another waybto say that)

--- End quote ---

Good point that Bryan ...on late 60's early 70s panels the plastic goes really brittle.

Orcade-Ian:
Hi Ash,
I have repaired quite a few panels over the years with home made gloop.  In the early days I used to cut up broken panels into tiny pieces to dissolve in acetone but then I bought ABS welding rods from RS and cut those up instead - much easier!
There's a piece on my site

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/restorationtips/absglue.htm

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version