Author Topic: Paint disaster / new colour  (Read 4873 times)

Offline beardylondon

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paint disaster / new colour
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2024, 10:24:49 PM »
Thanks!

I DONT NEED TO, AS I SPOKE TO RS PAINTS TODAY AND ITS ALL SORTED!

;D✔️

1976 CB550 K2 (USA import)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2024, 07:45:57 AM »
Thanks!

;D✔️

And your wallet will be significantly lighter when you buy it  ;)

Problem is people do a good job of scanning Honda colours but don't pass on the formulations. Interesting that after I bought my Honda Nassau Blue pearl paint (to which the paint company had assigned the Honda production 'code' ) a lady called me about a month later to ask how I was getting on with the paint supplied and that if I needed advice on any other Honda bike paint to call her. As I said before I am slightly biased because RS lost my NOS part with no apology for doing so and when the WB paint aerosols spluttered didn't really try to help me other than supply new nozzles ... which made  no difference. A decent company would have replaced all cans FOC, not try to switch the blame onto the user.  Also I bought aerosols in solid colour Honda Scarlet for about 23 quid a pop (cellulose paint) and when I ordered more they told me a I needed the proper base-coat to go with it. When I asked about the basecoat price it too was £23 a can and was basically just white ground-coat, available for half that price from most pro. auto paint suppliers.

I have NEVER come across a pro painter who, by choice,  .. i.e. not dictated to by the customer, uses RS paint. They simply can't justify the cost. However, I know of painters who buy a small quantity from RS, then do a spray-out card and scan the colour or match it by eye and get it mixed themselves. They also mix candy pigment into clear binder rather than buying pre-mixed candy lacquer. https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/product-category/candy-concentrates-powders/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 07:57:50 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2024, 12:15:55 PM »
When RS was in the north and run by dad they were great, after they moved not so much

Offline beardylondon

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2024, 01:47:03 PM »
Thanks all.

Question now is, do I put the stripes on the tank before or after lacquer coat?
1976 CB550 K2 (USA import)

Offline DomP

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2024, 08:02:51 PM »
I maybe wrong but I thought it was lacquer decals the lacquer again
1975 XS650B
1976 CB550F1 current project
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Offline Bryn

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2024, 02:24:35 PM »
Thanks!

;D✔️

And your wallet will be significantly lighter when you buy it  ;)

Problem is people do a good job of scanning Honda colours but don't pass on the formulations. Interesting that after I bought my Honda Nassau Blue pearl paint (to which the paint company had assigned the Honda production 'code' ) a lady called me about a month later to ask how I was getting on with the paint supplied and that if I needed advice on any other Honda bike paint to call her. As I said before I am slightly biased because RS lost my NOS part with no apology for doing so and when the WB paint aerosols spluttered didn't really try to help me other than supply new nozzles ... which made  no difference. A decent company would have replaced all cans FOC, not try to switch the blame onto the user.  Also I bought aerosols in solid colour Honda Scarlet for about 23 quid a pop (cellulose paint) and when I ordered more they told me a I needed the proper base-coat to go with it. When I asked about the basecoat price it too was £23 a can and was basically just white ground-coat, available for half that price from most pro. auto paint suppliers.

I have NEVER come across a pro painter who, by choice,  .. i.e. not dictated to by the customer, uses RS paint. They simply can't justify the cost. However, I know of painters who buy a small quantity from RS, then do a spray-out card and scan the colour or match it by eye and get it mixed themselves. They also mix candy pigment into clear binder rather than buying pre-mixed candy lacquer. https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/product-category/candy-concentrates-powders/

Just had a great paint job done on my 550K3 by a local painter… works from home… Tank completely stripped back to bare metal, dents pulled out, side panels stripped and repaired and then the whole lot painted in Candy Kent Brown…. Just checked the bottle of the spare paint he gave me (Leftover) RS Paints  8) all for £550

Greg. ….He’s on instagram …. brokespeed_Motoworks

« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 02:27:14 PM by Bryn »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2024, 03:08:17 PM »
Bryn, I thought the K3 only came in Candy Garnet Brown and Excel Black? Is yours a UK model or a USA import. (I don't know much at all about USA colours as they were totally different for the UK market across the whole Honda CB SOHC 4 model ranges)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 03:11:56 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2024, 03:42:28 PM »
I watched Greg look up the paint for the bike on the RS paints website and it came up with Candy Kent Brown

Mine was originall registered in Northern Ireland… just had a quick search on the sohc4 US forum and found this …..

‘Candy Kent Brown (code YR-3C) was used on the CB550 K3 overseas, but it’s a rarely seen color on th3 USA market bikes

Candy Garnett Brown (YR-2C) was used on the CB550K2 USA market bikes and it’s close in color to the Candy Kent Brown’

So I’d gather from that the ‘overseas’ is not USA  8)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2024, 04:09:53 PM »
Indeed it is a UK model, June 1977 registered K3. I bought a K3 in bags, tupperware boxes and pyrex pudding bowls a few years back. Never had any intention of restoring it to stock, it eventually ended up as what we know on the forum as 'Millie the Mongrel'. Other than the frame, I don't think any of it is K3 now 😂😂😂😂😂
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2024, 04:29:22 PM »
At least mine was pre assembled  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal