Author Topic: Stripped bowl threads on carbs Helicoil guidance needed.  (Read 792 times)

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
Re: Stripped bowl threads on carbs Helicoil guidance needed.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2024, 11:53:31 PM »
I Helicoiled all my floatbowl threads 2 weeks ago, because three had gone bad loosening the bowls.
I ordered a set from Amazon, cost me 7 euro INCLUDING postage, took 3 days to get here and then spent less than an hour on a rainy sunday afternoon to put them in. The set was complete with all the tools I needed, drill, allen key, thread turner inner ;) and 24 coils, so enough spare to make mistakes (which I didn't).

Offline Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2024, 09:55:03 PM »
I have used a helicoil kit for 8-32 screws, repairing 7 of the 12 screw holes on my 77 550k. Also repaired a couple of holes on the S&S superleaker (Super E) on my harley. The kit had everything execpt the required drill bit to ready the hole for tapping.  I believe it was an 11/64 inch drill required (apologies to metric folks). Only problem i had was breaking the tang in blind holes. Repairs seem to be holding.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:45:17 AM »
I have ended up cutting the tip off my existing Helicoil Tap with my Dremil type tool so it's now flat ended - it still has the tapered lead at the end so should be fine. I bought an M5 kit a while ago that came with plenty of coils.

I'm planning on doing a practice thread first on some scrap alloy that my brother has when I see him on Friday.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal