Author Topic: hailwood replica  (Read 2421 times)

Offline cobra

• View Profile
hailwood replica
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
when i have finished my CB750 F1, i am thinking of building a hailwood replica 500 4, A few years ago, there was a series of articals in motorcycle mechanics that ran over about 6 issues, i think it was about 9 or 10 years ago, does any one still have them by any chance?i have emailed the publishers about them but have had no responce. failing that has any one out there done one.or have any info on where i can get info for the build, things like which front hub did it use, ie gremica or fontana or was it a honda.hope someone can help cheers Tony

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: hailwood replica
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
Sorry I can't help with your specific request but The Magazine Man may be able to source the magazine issues you're looking for.
Googling for Hailwood Replica may give you a start.
Hope this helps.
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
Didn't someone do that with a 400/4 motor recently, may have been in fast bikes but can't be sure will try to see if it's in anything I've got in the loft.

On that bike though, I went to a Hailwood memorial day some years ago at Donington and they ran his original 500 not many words I can think of to describe it but awesommmmmmmmme seems to only scratch the surface. The noise is just fantastic and it cuts right to the core of you as I think John Surtees screamed it down under Dunlop bridge into the chicane.

If you make anything like that I'd love to see it.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »
My friend went to school with Mike Hailwood.  I am told he was a very nice man.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »
It seems so from what I've read about him and it was really sad that after all the things he did racing bikes and cars to be caught in essentially a mundane road accident.

It was a mixed feeling to go to the memorial day but as with anyones life I think it should at least be celebrated for the achievements by them.

On the 500 replica, I've thought about the same sort of thing and although it seems right to start with a Honda 500 I guess that motor is very different from the racer apart from being the same make. The motor that appears to me to come closest to that racer and is reasonably available is a Yamaha Fazer 600 probably with similar power, revs and being a twin cam would look much more like the original from the outside. Take a look at one and see what you think.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal