Author Topic: head bearings  (Read 4001 times)

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
head bearings
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:16:08 PM »
just got some non standard head bearings from d/s [headrace bearings ]  do i still need to use the bottom steel washer and rubber washer witch you use with the gen bearings????
thanks steve
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:10:12 PM by steven400/4 »
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
Re: head bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
in a word .........yes both lower and upper, i'm assuming you are using new taper bearings for lower and upper, slap plenty of a good lithium based grease also put some in lower seal cup when fitting headstock and same in upper........ be prepared for some grease to escape...or be squeezed out when tightening up headrace.......... wipe over and away you go.........did same on mine in 79 cant remember the code for the bearings which is a bummer as sourcing from a bearing supplier,s is cheaper than buying via  a third party...
dib! dib! dib.

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
i got them from d/s
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:41:02 PM »
You can't get them from a bearing supplier as the outer race is ground special to fit

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »
i dont need any i need to know where the washer goes that comes with the race set
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
You can't get them from a bearing supplier as the outer race is ground special to fit

not quite,,,,,,  back when i had to source them it used a british imperial top bearing and a iso metric for bottom..... good old british timken...... and steve, i cant say from my experiance what its used for or where it goes but perhaps the following may help you determin where it goes...............

when i did mine getting the lower headstock inner race off, entailed starting it by hitting the lower washer with seal  this wasnt a problem in the 70,s as replacement parts were still available, if the "hole" in the washer will fit over the larger lower bearing land then it may be a replacement for this.......if its inner diamiter will fit over and its outer is 50mm then it could ,depending on how deep the inner race wall is to be a spacer before inner race is fitted.......on ds site it looks a fair old washer....... so without doing it i cant say 100% where it goes perhaps someone else has done it with the ds bearings  or give em a ring and check before fitting..................
dib! dib! dib.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
When i tried, the inner race was from one bearing set and the outer race from a different bearing set, for both top and bottom, so you had to buy 4 bearings to get 2 and that assumed the tapers were ground on the same angle, which different manufacturers dont. So if you got all 4 from one maker you had a chance but the cost was more than buying the Japanese set where the outside of the outers were ground to a "Non Standard" size

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
years ago there were many many plethora of bearings than there are today.....most post 90,s seem to be made for application  ie the part to a standardized bearing, although a GOOD bearing stockist will have a cross cat that can mix a 2 or 3 part bearings to suit.....even using sleeves

long gone are the times you could get anything from 30 degree to a 70 degree annular outer/inner from different manufacturers and find a spot on one.
dib! dib! dib.

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
 got them from d/s
dib! dib! dib.

Offline neilma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »
Hi Steve,

I just fitted these myself this week.. The quick answer to your question is that the washer that came with the kit goes on the stem 1st then the race.

I worked this out by building on my bench the lower race (inlcuding a few of the balls) to get the height of the original lower bearing race. Then put the new one up against it. To make them the same height the washer was required.

Anyway, I fitted the race to the stem (I put the stem in the freezer overnight) and then put the bearing in the oven for a while and used a piece of 1.25" PVC pipe to bang it on. I then reused the rubber washer by stretching it back over the race to rest between the race and the washer. You can then reuse the original washer and chrome nut on the top.
Hope that helps

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal