Author Topic: Cafe Racers on Discovery Turbo  (Read 4844 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Cafe Racers on Discovery Turbo
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
Weekday nights at 8pm and then at 8.30pm. A US programme showing some chaps living out there cafe racer dreams!  An interesting selction of old bikes being chopped up including: a CX500....tricky to make this look good although the guy had done a nice job - still made for a desperately ugly machine; Honda CB twins; I think I saw a CB750 in the background too; SR/XT500 - nice old single; XS650.

All in all the content is a bit thin with plenty of ..." in the last episode we saw".....repetitions to flesh it out. But what the hell, it's nice old 'bikes on TV midweek and I'm enjoying it!....apart from when it clashes with Coronation Street and then I have to retire to my cellar.

Anyone else seen it?

http://www.caferacertv.com/
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cafe Racers on Discovery Turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
ive put it on the planner to tape during the day when it wont clash with the soaps  ;) looks interesting , cheers Mick.

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
Think I have seen every episode now it's pretty good, some good inspiration if your building a cafe racer but it's more about the culture ( well the American version of the culture, mods vs rocker rallies etc ) rather than giving you technical information. They skim over builds and don't go into the mods done in much detail unfortunately but to fit it into a half hour show I suppose that's what they have to do. They do show a few British built bikes and there's interviews from the ace cafe and British cafe riders. I would definatly recommend it for people interested in cafe racers, hopefully there will be a second series.

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »
We get Discovery Turbo down here in OZ and that programme's starting next week.  Looks good.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
I missed it , and i am building a cafe at the moment .has any one recorded it?
Pete

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »
It's repeated constantly on turbo, much like every program they have on that channel I keep tuning in to see if it's a new episode every week but they constantly cycle the series over and over again- not that I'm complaining as there are some nice looking bikes on it.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
To be honest I gave up after 3 episodes, the content was too thin and repetitive. It's a program that's best recorded and watched with one finger on the fast forward button.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
Is this on subscription TV?

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »
Yeah sky tv.

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
And Foxtel...
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Blast!, resent paying for TV.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »
I recorded it and also gave up after a couple of episodes and deleted the lot.  It might be me but I didn't think much of the content.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
I recorded it and also gave up after a couple of episodes and deleted the lot.  It might be me but I didn't think much of the content.

I agree but that CX500 looked pretty cool to me and I loved the junkyard guy who sold them a CB450 twin - just wish we had scrapyards like that. Did you see the French guy totally trashing a really good Kawa Z900 - chopping it up with a saw to get the motor out for his Martin framed cafe- criminal! Got to give it to the guy though as he auctioned it off for a kids charity. I recorded them all on a 'feature' day and just fast forwarded all of the time until an interesting bit came up. There was an interesting Scottish guy (into Brit Bikes) on there too.

Cheers Ash D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:35:21 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:54:23 PM »
I wish we had scrapyards like that too. The quality of the bikes they can pick up for a couple of hundred dollars is amazing- it took me forever to source a bike close enough to where I live and I had to pay a lot more than it was worth, it had missing parts, rust everywhere, someone had taken a pair of scissors to the wiring loom etc etc if I was in the USA I would have paid about $200 but here it cost me close to

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal