Author Topic: Need help  (Read 1872 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Need help
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Hi can anyone recommend me a firm that can recut my valve seats and re surface/ skim my head on my f2, the firm of my choice would be SIP but that involves postage and i do not want it lost or damaged
I am looking for a decent outfit that knows about the CB engines in driving distance of SE London/ Kent
Thanks Pete

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
Pete

Not sure about the head mill, but Brian can certainly do the valve seats - and most other engineering-type things, too.  

He's got a little olde tyme engineering shop in Bexley - swarf and bits of stuff everywhere - but he's pretty reasonable and good fun.  He's got plenty of experience with bikes and has done the seats on my 350 and 450 twins.  He's also got a box of bits for my 750 to work on - replace the valve guides, recut the seats, fix stripped threads, TIG frame sections, drill out a couple of frozen bolts and some other odds and sods.  From the look of the workshop, I'd guess he can probably do the milling too, but even if he can't, he'll know someone reasonably local who can.  

The only real drawback I've found with using him is that his turnaround times can be a bit unpredictable.  And the one thing I know he definitely can't do is rebores, but I know a guy in Sevenoaks who can (he's pricey, but a little more reliable time-wise).

Incidentally, Brian's just around the corner (nearly) from the good guys at Modern Screws - a great place for stainless nuts and bolts.

Any good to you?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:33:14 PM by the-chauffeur »

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »

Just thought I'd add that I went into see Brian today to pick up the headwork he's done on my 750.  Nice.  New valve guides fitted and reamed, seats and valves ground/reground, all threads chased/repaired and so on.  He's also grooved some bearing housings, TIG'd up my frame (got a Gordon kit fitted) and repaired a couple of switchgear housings.

He was in the process of skimming a cylinder block and head - so I guess he can do those, too. 

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »
That sounds perfect Neil, can you PM me some details , it sounds like he is only 5 mins up the road from me, as for the modern screws i have heard of them but never used them maybe i will call in and see what they do as well
Thanks
Pete

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »

Pete

Links are in the second post - click on the words in blue (Brian and Modern Screws).

;D

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »

Pete

Links are in the second post - click on the words in blue (Brian and Modern Screws).

;D

OOPS I can be so thick sometimes

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal