Author Topic: How much is too much?  (Read 5686 times)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: How much is too much?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »
oh no !! that was the best cafe in Aber, on a cold day ( okay every day) you could sit in there round the woodburner, a lovely Jotul.  ..And a great meeting place. IS the "angel Inn" still there, that was Okay..
The other good thing to do in aber, was to visit the army ex suplus and buy para boots...oh and buy 2000AD comic cos it came out on a wednesday there and it took till thursday before it got to lampeter...ah good days... thank your dad for the info....if you get a chance ask him were folk go instead of the graig would you?
thanks.
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 06:14:42 AM »
I have been out of testing for some years now but remember that Bulb horns are only legal for bikes registered prior to 1st August 1973. If you got to:-

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

You can read the official testers manual to find out what you can and cant do
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:28:38 AM by Bryanj »

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:55 AM »
There are many instances of folk who have travelled the world without incident , just to get pulled over and haranged as soon as they come down the M4...
The cops in West Wales are bad enough, but that evil barsteward who used to run North Wales constabulary, Richard Brunstrom aka "The Mad Mullah of the Traffic Taliban" was worse by far! I remember when he used a photos of a dead biker in a press conference to show just why he was down on bikes, the poor sod was hardly cold in his grave and there's Brunstrom showing pictures of the guy's decapitated head (without his family's permission) to illustrate a point!  >:(
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
There are many instances of folk who have travelled the world without incident , just to get pulled over and haranged as soon as they come down the M4...
The cops in West Wales are bad enough, but that evil barsteward who used to run North Wales constabulary, Richard Brunstrom aka "The Mad Mullah of the Traffic Taliban" was worse by far! I remember when he used a photos of a dead biker in a press conference to show just why he was down on bikes, the poor sod was hardly cold in his grave and there's Brunstrom showing pictures of the guy's decapitated head (without his family's permission) to illustrate a point!  >:(

I remember hearing about that, absolutely disgusting he could do that. The angel is still open yes, not sure if that's a good thing though. I have lived here all my life and can't remember there ever being an army surplus store, my dad reckons that might have been shut for 20 years!! I don't think there is an alternative to the graig as everything is steadily shutting down it's becoming a real ghost town.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »
Mud is the answer to all your problems.  During the summer, in the countryside, thousands of people come up from the towns to rip it up on our twisty roads on their shiny metallic rockets and to be honest I can understand that the local police get annoyed; I have seen some pretty irresponsible riding.

However, if your bike is caked with mud, you're wearing the uniform (tweed and gum boots) and you have either a lamb or a sack of pig food bungeed to the back, you will be recognised as a local lunatic, saluted and waved on.

I was recently pulled over for going, in the officer's opinion, too fast.  The first thing he asked me was if I was local.  When I told him where I lived and apologised, admitting the foolishness of my actions, he advised me to ride more carefully in future and sent me away without further to-do.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
I'm only a few miles up the road 12 miles from Machynlleth but appart from my Susuki FZ50 days - that ped was totally stock and so uncool it was cool but got stopped 6 times in the 6 months that I had it as daily transport. Anyway appart from that 1 bike I've never had so much as a second look from the law on my bike round here (well had a polite note to let me know my carb was leaking and they'd turned the tap off, left on the bike in Newtown once) Given the bikes I ride that's surprising. My 500/4 sported for most of my time on it a triumph rockett 3 exhaust that emmitted such a growl that I heard the previous owner delivering the thing from a clear 6 miles away. That bike was from Brecon and the previous owner had also notced she was never stopped on that bike.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Getting back to the bike...i'm pretty sure that you need a chainguard if you're not going to have a pillion space ie. a single person seat...but I would have one anyway so's not to get splattered by chain lube being flung about. I don't need to have one on my KTM enduro to be road legal as it has no pillion carrying ability at all...but I have one fitted to try & keep as much mud off the chain as posiible. I also don't have indicators even though it's a 2004 model, even though the bike came with them as standard. I removed them & the switch & the bike flies through the MoT without even an advisory.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
Inicators, or blinkers as our US cousins insit on caling them, have to be fitted to all ROAD motorcycles registered AFTER 1st August 1986----Ash your KTM dont count 'cos its designed as an OFF ROAD vehicle

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal