Author Topic: Renovation Time  (Read 55167 times)

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
Re: Renovation Time
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »
The decision has been made for me...its definately the Honda. One of our group comming down today from Skegness broke down on the motorway and I've only just got back from picking him up in my van...A bloody 2007 R1 and his rectifier has burnt out. Well this caused me to miss my MOT slot for the Z and his R1 is now sporting my Z's rectifier anyway. The Ace has a bald tyre that i didn't notice...so I've just been sat in the garden polishing, and ravishing she looks too...all filled up with juice, no leeky forks, and my rooksack packed - with a tub of polish in it aswell. hehe

Argh  awesome cant wait to get going now.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
Have a gud un mate  8) and take plenty of photos  ;) also watch out for Biffta (dave) on here on his 400/4 from Liverpool  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »
What a week we had. Rather alot of beer, Alot of laughs, and we had the most photographed bike in our road. It was so ridiculous we started hiding after a couple of days because it was non-stop. Photo after photo and non stop chatting about it to folk from countries everywhere. We were on a major road next to the Lido with alot of people traffic.

Wherever we went people stopped and looked at it. My mates got pissed off with it in the end - even I did.

I even had folk pull up next to me at traffic lights and talk about it. Everyone loved it.

It goes pretty good too apparently. We went alot of the way there at 100+ mph at one point cruising at 110 for about 20 miles. My speedo said 80mph, I've got to sort that, I had no idea what speed I was doing. My mates R1 packed up again over there so he had to push his bike onto the ferry and come back on the back of me. He's 16stone but the little Honda didn't miss a beat and we were still doing 100 odd alot of the way back. Amazing.

Highlight for me was out gunning a Kettle (GT750) up the mountain mile relatively easily..definately shocked him..it was the first time I've thrashed it for ages and it surprised even me...a bloke behind on a VFR said it hit 120mph going up, but over 130mph on the decent and he went on about it all night.

I had a bit of clutch slip trouble when the oil was cold if i gunned it, but when it warmed up its was OK. Post some pics later.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:45:24 PM by z1100r »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
That sounds like you had a good time, 130 MPH would put most of the 750's to shame, i would not dare to push my bikes that hard , maybee i should give my f2 a blast and see what it does
Pete

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »

I did see a tidy 550 and an import 750 but only on the ferry comming back. They passed us in the streams of bikes whilst we waited for my mate to push his R1 off the boat. My mates F2 that was the same colour as yours did 125mph flatout. We used to compare my 600 against his 750 during the tuning of the 600 motor. I saw a 350 four actually in the Ramsey sprint, we nearly entered mine, but I decided the clutch wasn't good enough so we entered my mates old 1989 ZX10 instead. He did Ok but not as good as our old 87' CBR1000 last year.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
Sounds like a good time was had by all, we have been watching the TT on the box and it certainly brought back some memories, maybe we will have to have a sentimental return to the Island one day.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »

The more I think about it now I'm back the more I miss it. It was the same last year. Probably by Tuesday next week we'll be all booked up again.  :(

I just picked up a Matchless G80 which has been semi chopperised but to me looks good. However, I must finish the Honda before I start that. I need to give the tank and right sidepanel another coat of laquer - they've only had one so far. I also need to do the seat.

The bike caused so much attention in the IOM that I'm going the whole hog. The mudguards are going for re-chroming, I need a couple of new engine bolts and sprocket nuts, and i want a set of new exhaust collars and a headlight bowl and trim.

Got to do something about the speedo and rev counter. Speedos OK to 60mph then it slows up and at speeds around 120mph its only saying 90 something. The rev counter seems OK until it hits the red line then it starts going in reverse...weird.

The bikes resting in the garage now - getting the occasional pat on the seat. I just cant stop looking at it.  ;D ;D :-[ :-[

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »
End of project Honda.....almost.

My next jobby. Only got it 2 days ago and allready I love it, been tootling around local lanes on it and allthough its slow its great fun.

Matchless G80S 1952.  http://www.gareth.evans9.btinternet.co.uk/images/matchy/first.JPG

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
That's my kind of bike!  The only problem is they cost too much to buy.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »

Well its a bit weird really..almost incestrous/interbred/'dualing banjo's'...the bike came from my mate, but its the same mate who's sister the Honda came from.

In the eighties he bought all my race bikes....My BSA Bandit framed Yoshimura 460, My TZ500 framed cb550, and my 1987 jelly mould CBR600. I'm now buying his bikes. I paid for his IOM digs for this one. A bargain even though we stopped at an expensive place.
All the correct tinware and seat has come with the bike, I am the 2nd owner on the logbook allthough it has actually had one more - his Latvian next door neighbour that bought it new in 1952. It was my mates only transport between 17 and 23 and he did about 25,000 miles on it. The other 15,000 was done by the original owner. I've done 200 miles allready and I've only been messing with it 3 days.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
wonderful and it sounds like a bargain.  Being an evil and wrong-headed person, I would ride it like that and forget about the original tinware.  I might change the rear lamp though to a lovely BSA one I have on my cb350 at the moment.  

I reckon I would gladly sell both my CB500/4 and my CB350K to buy something like that but I'm sure that wouldn't raise enough cash and I am banned from spending money on bikes as I have 'too many hobbies' as she who must be obeyed puts it.

Looks like a lot of fun; I'm sure I will find something one of these days.  I've always fancied a ratty G11. (probably shouldn't say that on a Honda forum ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:52:15 AM by florence »

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »

Agree about the back light - thats Suzuki A120/ap50 i think...its got Triumph Bonneville everything else, mudguards and stays, handlebars, etc.
 We had a mate that worked at a chrome platers in the 70's and he chromed the lot. Most of what you can see that is chrome should be gloss black - even the centre of the wheel rims.

With this one I'm doing both....obviously I love the styling of it as it is now and I will be renovating to as new in that style. Also I will get the original tin done properly and some spare bits like oil tank, primary case, and fork shrouds painted rather than chromed. All the time I'm riding it its stopping like it is now, but with some new stainless guards, a vapour blasting and tons of re-chroming. The Honda guards will go off to chromers with all the bits from this one.

Time to re-mortgage the house dear.....!!!! who said that..??

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
....just need to get that really big studio job in......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal