Author Topic: Candy Gold Custom Tank paint + Piccies..  (Read 9634 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Gold Custom Tank paint + Piccies..
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Aaaah see what you mean kasey, don't think I'm quite that bad yet so maybe could paint after all.

You don't work as a patience therapist do you!!!

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
Hi Kacey, Looks like a lot of us share the same tolerances. Must be our age. Still need to find the skill for the painting though, mine always turns out badly. probably as I don't have the correct equipment, but it may happen at some time in the future.

May have a go on something that does not matter.

Cheers

Seamus

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
There are many good cheapish compressors on the market, this is a good thing to start off with, Idealy you want something that can keep an output of 30-50 lbs psi being delivered.. You want to buy the biggest compressor that you can afford...in other words the one with the biggest holding tank...
Drain it of water every time before you start, when youve finished, and inbetween coats of paint, idealy though you want an inline water trap.... cast aside any coiled plastic pipe that may have come with it, and get proper reinforced rubber hosing... a devilbiss gun can be got on ebay reasonable...
Then if you havent got any sheets of metal lying around...go to your local auto-paint refinishing suppliers, they usually have a skip for folk to put waste products in, these often contain bent wings and panels, which usually they will let you take and are good for practising on, but also they are good for checking your gun and fan width/ gun pressure etc when the gun has been loaded with paint...yes you can use the garage wall, but metal is better!
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
Hi Kacey,

I paid top money to have my 750K0 tank etc.  painted by Andrew Parnaby but I have two CB250K0 tanks and fork ears to paint, one in candy red and the other in candy blue (half of the tank is white). These projects don't justify bags of money spent on them so I may have a go myself. I have a large compressor and a really old Devilbiss JGA spray gun. Any advice on settings on a Devilbiss gun. It is the suction not gravity fed type.

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
Ashimoto.....
Thats exactly the same gun I used for my tank.!!!
It's what I was taught with, and wouldnt change it for the world!!
I use mine on approx 30-45;lbs pressure...  The other thing I do is have a jar with a tin lid.. like say a "pataks" curry jar or a honey jar...anything that has a tin lid...
make a hole in the tin lid just a little bigger than the suction tube on the devillbiss, and mix your paint in the jar....slip the jar in your paint pot, feed the suction pipe from the devillbiss in and lock down the pot.
This saves loads of money in paint..Especially on two pack paints that cannot be saved once mixed..
And gives the added bonus that when you done, you just unlock your gun, stick the suction tube in a jar of thinners, blow through, wipe the tin lid, swill the jar out and your done.

HOWEVER... ( jeez I hate "howevers" but this one is important!)
I did the base colours of my tank with paint that had been bought before they changed the laws on one pack paints....................
Then used two packs on top.
I believe it is now illegal for places to sell 1k paints, and all base coats have to be water based......(YUK)
I also believe, that to spray water based base coats with our trusty old cherished and loved devillbisses
We may need to change the Nozzle............
Parts are easilly available for our devillbisses, including smaller and larger nozzle set ups.......
But, I dont seem to be able to get a definative answer as to exactly what nozzle size we need for these water based products....
I shall do more searches and let you know what I find out , as I will need to know anyways!!
Worse may yet be to come.....
There is a German outfit, that claim to have mastered "water based primers" ?????????
I hear you all screaming "what on BARE metal?" ( damn germans, why cant they let things be, instead of trying to organise and clean everything?)
If that is whats in the pipeline, then stock up on primer now!!!!
This is a subject thats close to my heart as you may have guessed..... Look at the colours of all the new cars.... they  are so DULL, thats what water based has done.
Have you got your paint?

HondaFour

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
Kacey, that's a great job and a top post...... heh! Heh! Heh! I think you might be a philosopher.....

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »

Superb job, and some top advice given aswell. I'm trying to do a half decent job with aerosols at the moment - beginning to wish I hadn't bothered with the dammed stuff and bought half litre of proper paint.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 04:55:44 AM »
Thanks guys.
Z1100,
If you go have a look in the "other place" The sister site in The USA, and check out Terry in Australia, you should find a link to his pictures he uploaded on doing his F2 tank in rattle cans. He did a good job too.
The problem I have always found with rattle cans, is twofold: The finish will scratch easy, you only have to drop a bunch of keys on it or something, and rattle can stuff is generally not very resistant to chemicals.

A good finish can be got, it's just not very durable. It leaves you sorta treating it with kid gloves afterwards.
Take your time on it, don't rush or be impatient.  If you get imperfections, let it dry and flat it back and put more paint on. Good luck.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »

Totally agree with everything you've said and am currently experiencing how pathetically soft and easy to mark these later rattlecan paints are. Years ago I could do a superb job with cans, all my TZ fairings were painted and laquered with them. It was quick and very easy to rework/polish back up when damaged. This new stuff is the total opposite. My fairings used to kick around the van getting bashed by all sorts, I'd hate to think what would happen to them if they were painted in this stuff.

I'll be spraying a 2K laqueor over it all so I'll see what happes to it then...mind you thats out of a rattlecan too - one of those where you pull the ringpull in the bottom of the can to release the catalyst.

I did read that Aussie guys thread on painting his red 750 tank a while ago..an interesting read.

I've done alot of painting in the past, including cars/vans etc, I'm no novice at it...not a profesional either I hasten to add.
I have 5 or 6 spray guns and a huge semi industrial compressor but decided for some insane reason that I was only going to tidy up the old Honda and didn't need to spend a fortune on paint. But as usual I've gone mad - again -  and its not just a quick tidy up anymore.

Like your idea of the jar inside the pot..brilliant.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal