Author Topic: Bolt on kits?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
Bolt on kits?
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »
I have a 74 cb500 and I'm turning it into a cafe racer and would like to upgrade some of the old technology on it for example better brakes ( rear disc conversion etc ) and would like to change the pegs out and fit some rearsets on it to move them back and down to make everything more comfortable for me as I'm 6'5 tall. Are there any bolt on kits for this bike or have any taller users done any mods to increase ride hieght or make it more comfortable for longer rides? I feel good on the bike as it is but it could always be better. Any decent uk sellers or any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt on kits?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
Asthese bikes aint been in production for over 30 years bolt on bits arenot that common any more.

My opinion is rear disc is too much(locks up too easy) but a twin disc front is an option you just need 550 forks and the hardware

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
Definitely agree with Bryan about the rear brake, almost anything is powerful enough at the rear especially if the front is more potent and a rear drum looks very cafe-racer anyway.

You maybe on your own for rearsets and looking at things like 400n superdream (if i remember correctly) for extended linkages to gear lever that could be adapted to more remote foot pegs.

Rear brake lever more of a problem though, see what anyone else on here has done hopefully.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »
In my books there can only be so much point in modifying the bikes suspension and brakes before you find the power is well down, the 500 is the earlyer of the middle weight sohc bikes, if your headed the way of wanting to upgrade things I'd start with a later 550 or even 650 as all the upgrades got added by honda so less things to source for a very similar bike. You'll end up quite easily spending double the bikes starting value on brakes, forks, clutch and cam upgrades etc before you ever saw any benefit to a better rear brake. The frame would at that point probably dissapoint...........
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
i have come to the conclusion i have to fit rearsets as my boots are going to hit the engine casing when shifting (size 15 boots) has anyone on this site fit aftermarket sets to thier bike? either by bolting straight on or through modification of other parts. if anyone has pictures or links to sites they know of that sell or may be able to help it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline duzatun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal