Author Topic: Cone filters  (Read 9653 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cone filters
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
Just leave the rear muddy out for that look! sell the old one If you have one along with most of the rest of it if you are set on a radicacally modified bike. I must admit I'm tempted to cafe racer the remaining 550 I have yet to cull. For the 500's though I think the bikes are quite nice in pretty standard speck. I'm not sure why but the 550 never held that appeal for me. I think the 550 tank would look better for a cafe racer with it's smoother filler cap desighn and taller forks - would suit a set of clip ons. The 550 front muddy is shorter too.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Mozza

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »
hahahahaha thanks.

legal, brilliant.

whats that all about then  ???

Did it pass the MOT I mean. Would love to use a few of the ideas you have on my own bike- same filters and removing the rear mudgaurd. It's a really nice bike.

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Would love to use a few of the ideas you have on my own bike- same filters and removing the rear mudgaurd. .
So why don't you?

Don't get hung up on 'legal', most cops have no idea about construction and use, or even the finer points of law and if it's passed MOT that's enough, if it doesn't you take the MOT testers advisory, put it right and go for a re-test.

Two examples:

My bro-in-law was stopped on his '75 Triumph trike in Southport, copper says "You know why I've stopped you don't you?" Dave replies "Actually no, I know I don't have indicators, but it was built and registered before 1986 so I don't need them, it DOES have a handbrake, it has an MOT and is insured, it's also tax exempt, so why have you stopped me?" "Because you're not wearing a crash helmet!" There is then a 10 minute war of words culminating in the policeman radioing the station to be told "Actually, the rider is correct, he doesn't need a crash helmet on a trike"

My neighbour got stopped for overtaking on chevrons, again the copper thought he had my neighbour bang to rights, until it was pointed out that it is legal to overtake on chevrons, providing there is a broken white line on your side of them.

So, forget the 'legal' hang-ups and go for it!
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
I'd try asking the place that will actually test your bike tbh, saves taking the bike along only to have to drag it home again just to add some silly part for the test, something that inevitably has a raindance effect of 10 days downpour so your retest results in a good soaking. Other thing to consider is how you then intend to use the finished bike. Minimal muddies may look good but can result in getting drowned by road spay (or worse) in the wet. If it's a weekend plaything for sunny days then inpracticality may be ok. I take the view that keeping the tester happy is well worth the effort, even if I put the stuff he wanted added streight back in the shed once I'm home, that's partly because good testers can be hard to find out this way so I'm not going to risk upsetting them by arguing the toss about who's right on a technicality.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal