Author Topic: what a find  (Read 2710 times)

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
what a find
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »

How many of you guys can trace your bike back to this....superb...!!! I was 50 on Friday and went up to a mates house in Mablethorpe for us both to do a track day. Whilst there I mentioned I was fixing up the old Honda and he said he'd recently found some pics...bloody hell I couldn't believe it. The pic is outside his dads house and thats his sister. It was her bike and I bought it off her around 1983.  As she was living in Lanzarote I paid the money to my mate. I had never actually met her, I think I'm in love now though. ;D

Offline clive

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: what a find
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »
er, now let me get this stright ;)she is your dads sister, that makes her you aunty, right. you think your in love :o = PERV ;) :-X
cb500/4, 535 virago, sunny south yorkshire, apart from floods, earthquakes

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
Nah you got it wrong Clive its his mates sister  :D

Offline captaindonutbikes

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
round our way fancy your auntie is almost a standard.  :P
cb550k3 cafe

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »
 ;D ;D very funny guys.

Those pics were taken in the summer of either 76/77/78 we think...that means the bike was not very old. It was first registered Nov 75.

Anyway, she now knows I've still got it and wants to see it again. She's 49 now and only lives under 10 miles away from me. I'd better give up with my idea of candy blue and redo the garnet brown I suppose. :-\
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:03:29 AM by z1100r »

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »
Why give up on blue?  Just because it was once brown doesn't mean it was a good idea, after all, when it was new there weren't many choices of colour.  Brown just isn't a good choice for a motorcycle paint, it hides the mud too much.

However, I do like that exhaust pipe and handlebars.  Are you going to keep those?

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:34:04 AM »
The handlebars is one of reasons why I've kept the bike so long....I love em. My necks bolloxed so I cant ride anything like a Fireblade or R1, even ordinary tourers like Fazers etc hurt now after 100miles.
   I can go miles and miles with those bars though - I get arse ache before my neck gives in -  its why the Honda did nearly all the long trips.

The Brown....well....its so she recognizes it...!!!! I'm hoping she comes and has go on it when its done. Trouble is the blue cost me 3.99 for 4 tins, I 'm sure RS for the Garnet Brown will be hugely more than that.

The exhaust in the pics is an old Brit silencer off her brothers Matchless 500 single, It sounded superb. He was a sheetmetal worker and made the system for her using some downpipes off of something.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
Hooray for upright bars; I too love them.  When going into a corner hard, scraping metal, it is a most thrilling feeling to be sitting bolt upright, leaning with the bike.  I'm not a fan of all that knee poking out nonsense, it's very modern and simply not British!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
In the flesh so to speak the brown looks really nice, like metalflaked walnut - I bought a project bike that coulor a few years ago with very good paint on the pannels and tank and it is a nice coulor though I doubt very much it's either cheap or easy to replicate as it's more than a few coats in different coulors. My favourite though is the green / black which is what my sidecar bike is/ was it's weathered into a texture like leather and I love it like that.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal