Author Topic: Post Mortem needed for a Mr. Cam Sprocket please!  (Read 2619 times)

470four

Post Mortem needed for a Mr. Cam Sprocket please!
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Had this fitted to a 400/4 camshaft I bought off ebay some weeks back - the cam is fine, the sprocket is a little worse for wear...

Needless to say the chain has been jumping the teeth to a large extent! On say a rear drivechain sprocket this is easily do-able by the mechanically unsympathetic - surely on a cam sprocket it would only jump a few before mechanical carnage ensued between pistons & valves, stopping the engine?

My only guess is that the owner had run a presumably very noisy loose camchain for quite a while, running the sprocket teeth into needlepoints before it finally slipped round, taking the tops off?

Your thoughts:   :)

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Post Mortem needed for a Mr. Cam Sprocket please!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
I think he got his money worth out of that   :o

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:07:44 AM »
VERY worn and neglected chain and yes the valves should have hit the pistons---have you removed them and spun them in the guides to check?

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »
That is very nasty, must have sounded terrible.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

470four

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
VERY worn and neglected chain and yes the valves should have hit the pistons---have you removed them and spun them in the guides to check?

Not my engine, only bought the cam/sprocket so I dont know!  :)

I would have thought it wasnt a pretty sight... aircooled engines are never quiet but FFS - why run it into this state??!  ???

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:02:42 AM »
When I was younger (and no dinosaurs did not rule the planet then!) for my sins i ran an Enfield Crusader sports and the gearbox sprocket came out looking like that but in my defence i was only on

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal