Author Topic: My CB550K3 Cafe build.  (Read 4614 times)

Offline stidds

• View Profile
My CB550K3 Cafe build.
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »
Hi Everyone.

I have been lurking on site for a little while now and I thought I would say hello and show you all my CB550 Cafe racer that I am building.

I have stripped everything down, refurbished parts, rebuilt the engine and generally had a great time (and still am).

This is how it started about 3 months ago.  Yes my Dog (Frodo) likes the bike.

Stripping it down.

Powdercoated and polished wheels.

My seat unit that I built with a massive amount of help from my Father-in-Law and the upholstery that I did.

Rolling chassis.

Tank fitted (tank is from a CB500T)

Exhausts mocked up and as it stands at the moment.

Well that is it at the moment, I have just fitted a new front brake as mine had the bleed nipple snap in the caliper.

Sean

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
Re: My CB550K3 Cafe build.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:11:07 PM »
Excellent work. Keep it up.
I luv CB550 cafe racers.
If mine weren't so close to 'standard', thats what i'd do.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »
Now that is looking good, nice one.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

HondaFour

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
That's really nice,

Hubert

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
Great overall effect..tank really suits it as does the orange/black...IMO though the seat needs more work. It needs an up rise at the front and to fit the frame down the sides. Looks a bit stuck on top at the mo. I would sort out the base to fit a little better and cut a new seat foam with a rise at the front and then get it professionally upholstered. Even if you do it yourself you need to glue it to the foam in certain areas. I think a well made seat is essential with these kind of bikes. Imagine it with some stitch lines and a nicer shaped foam.

Offline stidds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
I think you are right about the upholstery, I was pretty much just testing myself at this point as the vinyl was cheap and plentiful, but I have looked at it and thought about a professional job at some point.

As for the stance of the seat, well it is actually just plonked there at the moment, I have mounting plates that it sits on, but as I am still sorting the wiring loom out I haven't mounted it properly as I have to remove it constantly at present.
Sean

Offline lordwhimsey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
It looks brilliant!

How do the rearsets feel mounted back there? I've been agonising over where to mount mine but I'll probably stick them on the pillion mounts for now too.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
Thats looking real good stidds, great work , whats it like putting the tyres on  powdercoated wheels , does it chip?
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »
I agree with z1100r about the seat detailing but you have got the rear into a peach of shape, it looks really good and worth just a little bit more to refine the fitting to get a better overall look to the bike.

You've got some nice details on it, thanks for letting us see the build-up.

On the tyres pete, a long time ago a friend had worked in a bike tyre shop (greenford tyres for those that remember) and showed me how to fit them the easiest way and you can almost get them on just with your hands then use bicycle levers to get the last bit, plus using "rimshields" for any soft surfaces.

Offline stidds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys,

Lordwhimsey, the rearsets mounted where they are feel very comfortable, but we will see what it is like after riding it for a while.

UK Pete, putting the tyres on powdercoated rims caused me no problems at all, no chipping.  I even removed the original tyres that I mounted for mock up and put the new ones on still with no problems.

K2-K6, I think you and Z1100r are both correct but I will finish the build and then have a look at a different seat style.
Sean

Offline cavell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
Nice bike. Was thinking about painting the engine black on my project, when I finally get it going.

I was told by someone it's not good to paint an air cooled engine as it reduces the engines ability to bleed heat? Is this correct?

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:46:46 PM »
i too like the black engine, it reminds me of my old 500/4 i had the side casings chromed, looked great and i dont remember any overheating probs.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal