Author Topic: Daylight only MOT  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Daylight only MOT
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »

What is the situation with daylight only MOT.

Do I assume if lights are fitted they must be working? Assume you cant just put it through for daylight only specific test and any lights fitted will not come into it.

Any help appreciated.

Probably one for Brianj !

One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight only MOT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Youn are in a minefield mate.

To get a daylight only MOT there must be no lights fitted OR permanently painted over, BUT there has always been an argument about a Brake light which is a legal requirement after a certain year.
Basically you need a decent tester who has read, and understood, the book.

Go to :-

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

And you can read the testers manual yourself, plus maybe print the relevant page to show the nice man politely, but expect to be picked up on something else if you upset him!!!

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
IT may be worth considering (seeing how easy it is to have working lights) that "stuff happens"
You may "intend" to get home after a good day out before it gets dark.... but then some "stuff" that you did not expect to happen does.
This "stuff" will always happen just when it is the worst place possible for it to happen; it's the law.
Imagine having to leave your pride and joy next to "Hoody heaven" because you cannot see to ride home.
Or even in the middle of nowhere, because you cannot get a signal on your phone, or the battery on your phone is flat and the bike is too heavy to push over the next hill.....

might be worth a thought?
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
Thanks Brian - top advice as expected!

Really down to the tester on the day in summary.

I am being idle really, it's my cbr6 which has a pattern / race fairing to which muppet has fitted 12v 20w halogen bulbs / holders which will never pass an mot.

Alternative lights will need quite major mods to mount them which is where I am being idle.

Considering potential mot hassle and caceyk2's comments I will probably get off my a--- and do it properly.

Once cbr on road will get into my f2 cafe project.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal