Author Topic: CB125 RS electrical  (Read 3976 times)

Offline ricklincs45

• View Profile
CB125 RS electrical
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Hi, wonder if anyone can help? I recently bought a 125RS in need of much tlc. Most of it seems repairable apart from an electrical item located underneath the petrol tank. The unit is mounted forward and below the ignition coil and seems to be made of alloy (mounted to the frame in a metal bracket). It has 3 wires, two appear to be green, the third is pink - and it's the pink wire that has broken where it goes into the unit.

As the unit was damaged anyway I decided to try and take it apart with a view to seeing if the wire could be repaired. The unit was sealed with what appears to be a plaster-like material. Once the innards are exposed, there are two wire coils (one wound tighter than the other) with the 3 wires attached.

I no longer have a wiring diagram for the RS and can't identify this part - I assume it's part of the ignition system. If anyone could identify what this part is, it would be much appreciated. Would also be interested to know if anyone has had any success in repairing one of these units and then re-sealing it to prevent electrical shocks etc.

If anyone could supply a copy of the wiring diagram I'd be more than happy to forward the cost of a pint. Will also need a left-hand handlebar switch if anyone has one for sale. Thanks for looking.

Rick

Offline geoffmthead

• View Profile
Re: CB125 RS electrical
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
I,ve got exactly the same problem, I haven,t a clue what it is, someone suggested its a ceramic rectifier but as there is already a reg/rec on the bike I doubt thats what it is. Somebody out there must know what it is and how to replace/bypass it

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
 being a 125 could it be anything to do with a power / speed limit or restrictor?

Try posting a picture of the internals to see if any more informed contributors can give you a direction to query.

Will the bike run without it? and what's it connected to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:57:46 AM »
Try asking your local dealer if he would mind you looking in the big blue book for that model and possibly photocopying the wiring diagram, I've found most are helpfull as long as you are not a constant pest

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
I seem seem to remember some small Hondas having a ballast restor wired into the headlamp circuit to stop surges when changing from low beam to high beam and back but I'm sure it was usually mounted on the forks beneath the headlamp.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »
Dave has stirred my brain and as well as that item i seem to remember some bikes had a "shunt" to divert excess charge to earth, bit like the zener diode on 70's brits

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »
I think it was fitted to bikes that had their headlamps running directly from the generator and not from the battery.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
I'm sure my CB125S had one of them. Mounted between the forks.  6V system too!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline ricklincs45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »
Hi all, thanks very much for your replies - much appreciated.  I've since been told that the offending item is a resistor, apparently the pink wire runs to the left-handlebar switch (which would tie-in with Dave M's note about the headlamp circuit).  Have managed to solder the broken pieces back together but haven't tried making a container as yet, or resealing it.

Geoff; if you still have the same problem with your own bike, might be worth giving Dave Silver a ring.  They don't have the resistor listed on stock, but they are generally able to source parts - the only reason I haven't done so is because I wanted to see if it could be repaired (and I don't want to spend loads of money on getting the bike running only to find the engine's banjaxed!)  If our new-born ever sleeps long enough for me to have 'spare time', I'll try and get the bike running and report back on how the resistor is holding up from being re-soldered.

All the best, ride safely,

Rick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal