Other Stuff > Interchangeability

Benelli sixes

(1/3) > >>

RupertB:
This must have been raised before, or at least passed through a lot of members' heads but here goes anyway.
I admit to being mentally ill, I have three Italian bikes to just the one Honda if you wanted proof. But I must be getting worse as I keep pondering about buying one of the Benelli 750/6 things. Yes, the ones with the dodgy gearboxes, that weigh too much, that are as much in fashion as flares and stack heels, but what the heck.
Anyway - while De Tomaso pretended it wasn't really a rip off of the 500/4 with 50% nailed on the end, we all know it was - right down to the bore and stroke as I recall. So in the possible event of me actually remaining mad for so long that I acquire one, does anyone know for sure which if any parts are a straight swop? Oil filters spring to mind as a possibility, but what about stuff like valves, pistons, wheel bearings, points, exhaust gaskets etc? All info gratefully received.

K2-K6:
I've no experience other than reading stuff over the years but understood that it's mainly the motor that has a close relationship as a virtual copy of 500-4 dimensions.

I guess if you work it through logically then you'd need to design the frame and running gear more in line with a 750-4 to cope with load torque etc and it seems that the cycle parts are more off the shelf Italian and as such I'd have a punt at no specific equal to Honda stuff for non engine parts.

Your comment about a weak gearbox seems relevant as a starting spec to make a gear train would have max torque and vehicle weight as primary considerations. If the 500-4 origins are true and the box is at that spec then it efectively has been overloaded with 750 sized demands put through it. You'd expect to best manage this assuming the components are in good order by using the best quality bearings and lubricant to keep the assembly tolerances at optimum.

Heared they still make the pipes for them as well.

I do think they look fabulous though and would love to own one.

mick:
I recall seeing a picture of a Bennelli six motor in a 750/4 frame on our sister site in the US not that long a go  ;), cheers Mick

SteveD CB500K0:
You mean this one?

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82762

RupertB:
I like the way this is shaping up - obviously the more info that appears, the better, but if nobody is sure what interchangeability there is, then I will just have to buy a 750/6 and find out. I'll just practice my lines - 'No dear, it isn't extravagance, it's research. And I will be able to help so many people with this work. It isn't for me you understand, it is for the greater good.'

Sounds convincing to me.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version