General > New Member Introductions

New(ish) member - Portsmouth area

(1/1)

s7paul:
Hi all,
I only joined recently, though have used this forum and others for information on & off for some time. 

I bought a new CB200 in 1976 and traded it in 3 years later with 51000 miles on the clock.  The bike I traded it in for was a P-reg 500/4 that had covered 12000 miles.  In the 2 years I had the 500 we covered a further 34000 miles.  The only problems it ever gave me were related to its reluctance to start in damp weather.  I eventually traded it in for a new Z550 in 1981, then upgraded to a new GT750 in 1984.  When the first (of three) daughters arrived in 1986, the bike had to go.

After many years without a bike, I was yearning for the excitement you get from biking, but without the inherent danger.  This led to me building a Lotus 7-style kit car, which I got on the road around 1998 and kept until 2007, when I sold it & bought a 1998 TVR Chimaera 450 (which I still have).

While all that was happening, I started to get the biking bug again.  Of the bikes I had owned, the only one I had really regretted selling was the 500/4.  A casual look through eBay in 2003 resulted in me winning a "basket case" for

SteveD CB500K0:
Those gold ones really look the part don't they? Mine has a glorious hairline-crazed tank that looks as if it hasn't been touched in 30 years (which it hasn't).

If I could stop the carbs from pissing fuel I might even ride it on the road again!

florence:
Steve

Mine used to do just that and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the overflow tube in the float bowl.  I had tried new float valves and floats before discovering this fault, very frustrating.  I only discoverd it when washing out a bowl; even though it was not full of petrol, drops were emerging from the rubber pipe.  When I looked closely there was an almost imperceptible imperfection in the brass tube.  To solve the problem I allowed it to dry completely, then applied the thinnest imaginable smear of araldite to the crack.  It has worked ever since.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version