Author Topic: recommend a carb balancer  (Read 6790 times)

MIKE550/4

recommend a carb balancer
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
anyone recommend a carb balancer and adaptor kit for using on a 550 f2 and k3 ?

any one bought one off ebay or the likes an recommend a supplier as well

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: recommend a carb balancer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
Might be worth a look: http://www.carbtune.com/
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
Yep Carbtune is the one to get.
Did my K3 with one, & worked a treat.
Just make sure you've got the rest of her set up first (valve clearances, timing etc)

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:52:57 PM »
Yes the above are fine for the job, i had the 1st ones back when first came out, lent to some one and then his garage burnt down.
I now have the Mk 2 's which are even better, just make shaw you get the Honda adaptors.
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
We'd compared the Carbtune once with the digital Vac Gauge my mech normally uses, and the Carbtune is dead on.
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
I bought a Carbtune off eBay about 10 years ago.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »
Carbtune.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline captaindonutbikes

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
carb tune + 1
cb550k3 cafe

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
Build your own and safe a lot of money.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
My opinion is that although balancing makes a difference (mostly to slow running/tickover) it's quite alot street theatre for which people have consented to be charged money for.

If the carbs are set-up well on a bench i.e. so that all the slides really do start to open together, then they are usually very close to being ideal with any obvious problems down to other factors like points/timing/valve clearance etc. This is why all the advice points you to verify those first before carb balancing.

If you don't have any guages then you are not missing much if your general set-up work is accurate .

Offline stidds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
My opinion is that although balancing makes a difference (mostly to slow running/tickover) it's quite alot street theatre for which people have consented to be charged money for.

If the carbs are set-up well on a bench i.e. so that all the slides really do start to open together, then they are usually very close to being ideal with any obvious problems down to other factors like points/timing/valve clearance etc. This is why all the advice points you to verify those first before carb balancing.

If you don't have any guages then you are not missing much if your general set-up work is accurate .

I agree with K2-K6, I bench synced my carbs recently and when I connected up my carb balancer, they were all pretty much identical.
Sean

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:51:37 AM »
Couldn't agree more. I share a set of 4 clocks with another friend/motorists. Unless you have more bikes, cost of buying is hardly justified. That's why we shared and soon an owner of 2 350's will use them too. My experience is: once set you don't have to sync for a long time, very long indeed. As a matter of fact when you think they're out of sync, I would advise you to look for another cause. In my experience the carbs stay synced almost forever. Honda did a good job on this, after learning lessons with the 4-cable operated carbs on the early 750 models. Last time I used the set is some 15 years ago. On a few occasions I had the carbs on the kitchen tabel (for experiments with the needles) and decided to see how accurate I could sync by hand, using a small allen key for testsliding under the little cutaway section in the front side of the slides. I adjusted, testslided, adjusted, testslided etc. Then I drank a cup of coffee and checked it again, eyes closed for maximum touch. After mounting the carbs on the bike and attaching the set I was surprised I had managed to sync within 2 cm Hg(!), well within factory specs.
Maybe - just for fun - I will build a DIY as described elsewhere, because I like the idea so much (simple fysics). Gives me also the possibility to check if the 4 clocks are still within calibration after all the hefty movements. The homemade set can never lie. No negatives: you need no figures, just visual information that fluid is at the same level. For the rest of you: share. Less is more.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »
Personally, I would recommend finding a trustworthy and reliable motorbike shop to do it for you.  I did this fifteen years ago and it has been tiptop every since.  I asked the mechanic when he thought I would need to have it done again and he said that as long as I didn't take the carburettors completely apart it should be fine more or less forever.  Evidently he was right, and it didn't even cost much to have done; certainly a lot less than buying a set of gauges.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
I thought that maybe I was speaking out of turn but following comments seem to agree that the original design (multi cables excepted) are good enough to maintain an accurate sync under normal circumstances.

I do have a set of guages (bought a loooooooooooooong tme ago) and have used them to set/check many friends carbs but they always seem to show the same thing in that unless somebody has done something wild then most set-ups are usually within range and the owner is dissapointed that there was no real magical improvement in the running of their bike.

It appears that most of the people on a forum like this have sufficient skill and attention to detail to be able to get a decent set-up without them so save some money if you need to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal