Author Topic: Unusual question, experiences wanted...  (Read 7783 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual question, experiences wanted...
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
Kaceyk2, that's an interesting link on the bbc site.

It shows that many people have different perceptions of their own experiences and perhaps the good/bad balance causes a differing acceptance of time appearing to be slowed/speeded.

I guess if you subconciously judge/accept time as being related to what you've experienced then any event that gives you a very intensive visual/physical report would natuarlly be equated to a longer time period by your normal state thinking. If this were true, then if we attach more importance to the events we could accept the time as being of secondary consideration and so feel that we have distorted it in our mental record.

I think those words record what my mind was saying.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 01:16:21 AM »
St100 I believe, that as far as arctics and motorcycles are concerned it actually started in the UK!
K2-K6 , glad you found the link interesting, I got the book sent to me by a friend the same day as i found the link to it??? Time actually stopped.

As it we experience time speeding up as we all get older, and unlike in our youth, when there was endless time to do things, now for a lot of us there is less.
For much of my life I have actually worried about this, and formulated a bit of a plan, the plan is called :

"The naughty boys club" and I always knew I would start one when I was older, for  a variety of reasons.

For instance, If you won the lottery or knew you had a terminal illness, how many of you have thought,      "well I would just have a big blow out, after all why not?"

The other thing I noticed as an observation on life is that Pensioners never seem to get into trouble much in Court if they have been misbehaving, in other words you can get away with a lot more if you are older.

So, my plan was before it got too late, to start a "naughty boys club" of similar minded folk who would also not "go quietly into the night" and  "stretch -out" remaining time on earth, not in front of the telly with cheeses and biscuits, but with adventures . According to this book, that will actually give us more time.
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
I experienced the time-slowing-down phenomenon when faced with the option of hitting a stone bridge parapet by wrenching the wheel left, or hitting the on-coming 40ft lorry with 2 tractors on the back, I can still remember thing "Oh sh*t, at least the bridge is stationary" I hit it so hard the roof of my Alph 75 creased, but if I'd hit the truck I'm damn sure I wouldn't be sitting here typing this!

On the other side i.e. "naughty boys club" that must surely go some way to explaining why Last of the Summer Wine was so popular and managed to run for 25 years. I think a lot of us approaching 'older age' identify with Foggy, Compo and Clegg as being of the "life isn't a rehearsal, you only get one shot at it" mentality, I know I certainly do which is why I'm still riding :-)
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
I agree in principle of the naughty boys club in that you should do something more for your own interest as someone else is unlikely to provide that for you.

I have over more recent times to better exclude the things I definitely don't want to do that would waste my time and reduce the space to follow things that are more enjoyable.

There are some simple things in that I try if I have to pay for parking to use places that are open ended i.e. pay for what you've used as opposed to fixed time so that if you either want to run over or get it wrong then you have to pay for the next hour and not a fine and time/thoughts being really pi**ed about it.

Do things like only buy bread from my local bakers, try to use support local businesses when they can offer me what I want. I like these things and the family get to eat really nice bread.ti

Negotiated with my last job about hours. Was usually out of hours by thursday and didn't have overtime, they consented to do one week in 4 days and be on call each friday. that felt like a good balance to me over the week and allowed me to get all sorts of things done on a friday leaving weekends more clear for interesting stuff.

I think you have to pinpoint firstly the things you really don't want to do and chase down ways to alter that, then go after the stuff you value more in the time you've cleared.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 03:09:01 AM »
I thought I better point out, I am not at the last of the summer wine age just yet!!  just looking ahead in advance.
making a list of stuff you dont want to waste your time doing is an excellent Idea, so here is my list, it is provisional though and I reserve the right to alter it at any given moment.
Kaceyk2's list of stuff he doesn't want to waste time on doing:

(1.) Shopping.
(2.) Anything to do with shoes.
(3.) Waiting for stuff. ( or competeing with fat welsh girls in jumble sales)
(4.) Mowing the lawn, it just grows again anyway.
(5.) Cleaning stuff that isn't shiny. ( that includes, me, the house I live in and mrs kaceyk2)
(6.) Telling the people in Mac donalds that I don't want a "meal deal" just a big mac and large fries. (this wastes loads of time)
(7.) Keeping an eye on the graveyard. ( If it's going to happen it will, and besides, I have labelled all the items in our house that can be used as weapons)
(8.) Commenting on television programs, I can save four hours and sixteeen mins per day by not doing this.
(9.) Sleeping, this wastes 3/4 of my day for no gain.
(10.)  Imagining that one day I may win the lottery, I won't and this wastes a further 1 hour 11 mins per day.
(11.) waiting patiently for mrs. Kaceyk2 to suggest girl on girl action, again three hours per day I could spend more productively.
(12.) Looking through the television guide for something worth watching, 1 hour and fourteen mins per day wasted in vain.

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
You are so out there at times....................................! ::)

I'm also a few years off LSW age, but things like the bath tub episode shows we really do regress once past a certain age, and that's probably no bad thing, the fact that one day we will no longer get embarrased about being off the wall kind of appeals!
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:51 AM »
Oh.. back on topic a moment, wonder what went through this guys mind in the 6 secs it took to do quarter of a mile. http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=61028

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal