SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Clutch rattle

(1/5) > >>

Graeme77:
Whats the deal?

Mine rattles alot, quite loud!

Not used to bike engines, or chain driven cams etc so i adjusted the cam chain and checked the tappets to make sure neither of those were rattling (they werent).

Havent checked the primary chain yet but will do.

So, assuming all thats left is clutch rattle, how loud should it be?

Ive been told they all do, but is there any way to reduce it? I do have a spare new clutch. Why does the rattle not go when you pull the clutch lever?

I have heard brief mention about using a goldwing clutch plate to reduce rattle, but thats all the info i have. Anyone else shed any light on this?

Bryanj:
FULL service then check the carb balance before condeming anything mate

SteveD CB500K0:
As Bryan says, check the carb balance - but anything else you do will affect this so always do it last!

Spitfire:
Mine does rattle somewhat as well and it does quieten done when I pull the clutch in, as the others have said check every thing and then balance the carbs.

Cheers

Den

florence:
All Hondas I've ever owned have had noisy engines but I think the important thing to determine is whether the noise gets suddenly worse.  I know you do not have anything to compare it to but I suspect you need not worry unduly.

One aspect which I think is rather poor is that there is no way to adjust the primary chain and I imagine this is responsible for a lot of the noise.  When I obtained my engine it had only done 7.5K and the primary chain was quite noisy, especially at tickover.  However, it has not got any worse in years of riding.  If your tickover is too slow it will be very pronounced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version