Author Topic: Clutch rattle  (Read 9320 times)

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch rattle
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
 ::) this post is getting interesting with all the jargon coming out  ::) but" THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE " X-FILES,(bryan, K2 and spitfire) ,i can only do basic engineering ,so i will stick to my trusty 4 dial guages, timing light , and feeler guages :)

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
I agree.

I build hi fi amps and other hi fi electronics as a hoby, but computer based stuff is over my head LOL.

Ill use my single gauges this time (ill let you know how much of a pain it is!) then get some gauges later on.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 07:49:09 AM »
By al means try it if you have loads of time JUST MAKE SURE that ALL the service items are done first

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
Steff750, the example I had was a chemical process that was basic but flow was critical for 6 seperate solutions and controlled by wopping great ball valves that everyone was scared to move in case we couldn't return it to original. We put in flow measuring impellers and sure enough the readout just jumped about all over the place (like a bunch of monkeys in a coffe house) making that report unuseable but then a clever computer guy at the company wrote a little program to collate and clean the data on a real time basis and it really worked. certainly opened my eyes as to the potential of mixing different mechanical, computer and pure maths logic systems.

It's engineers that have manufactured the modern world remember.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 11:06:53 PM »

I'm trialling the Goldwing clutch plate mod.  The plate is a heavy ol' piece of kit and basically takes up the space of one friction plate and one fibre plate.  I'm still not sure how effective it is though, and I have a feeling the whole basket would benefit from stronger springs.  I'll report back when I've been able to put some miles on the bike (see other posts for fun and games).

Meantime, this thread might help give you some ideas for keeping the noise down a bit.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
After going over everything, it seems the rattle is deffinately primary chain, and no doubt caused by the carbs being out of balance.

Tried using my single gauges, but the one i used to use is broken, and the other old one i found fluctuates wildly. As its the type you press onto the carb instead of the air filter, there is no damping it.

So, ill be buying some gauges then.

I see a few of you like the carbtune ones.
Ill look for them.

What are the cheap 4 gauge ones on ebay like? Cant argue with 40 quid LOL.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal