Author Topic: Start of refurb  (Read 7055 times)

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Start of refurb
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
The 17inch wheel maybe a bit of a curve-ball and could have been retro-fitted to it.

They certainly sound like mid production series models from the details.

I guess if you "cafe" one of them you'll only be doing what others have and will only know how you feel about in years to come. It's quite personal how anyone has their bikes though so free choice really.

If you didn't get them they may not have been back running at all, and it can be done so that it's possible to return to original if the mods are all bolt together.

One of the reasons I might cafe one is that the exhausts are holed, it has a king and queen seat and high rise bars. I thought if I am changing all these bits then I'm half way to cafe. At 1k for a set of exhausts thats a lot of my budget gone for a rebuild.

Don't get me wrong here if it's getting a cafe makeover then it will be done properly, a bit special and being a retired mechanic will take the time to get it right. But it wont be a bolt together job it will need attacked with an angle grinder to get a few ugly bits off. Thats if I go that route of course.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
The 77K DID NOT have a hidden oil filer cap, only the "F" did, so I think you have a 77 "K" which were not common in the UK, did not sell very well and are a nightmare to get original parts for as some bits are different so if it was me thats the cafe one!!

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »
The 77K DID NOT have a hidden oil filer cap, only the "F" did, so I think you have a 77 "K" which were not common in the UK, did not sell very well and are a nightmare to get original parts for as some bits are different so if it was me thats the cafe one!!

That's strange hearing that because looking at the 74 and the 77 they both look identical other than one has the fuel tap on the left when the other the right. I am going to rob parts from the 77 to make the 74 complete to start off and then look at what fate the 77 is going to be dealt.

I spoke with a chap who deals in the states and he says that following the cafe program that there has been an explosion in cafe racers, and that it should head this way at some point.

In terms of resale value they might be worth more in the cafe than restored to original, but I am in no hurry to do them since they are not losing money sitting in the garage.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
they have been making cafe racers out of these old Hondas and the like for the last 5 years or more to my knowledge 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
Mick, I think you missed a number out, shouldn't it be 35 years!

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Mick, I think you missed a number out, shouldn't it be 35 years!

I thought it was going to take me 35 years to get the engine out, everything off and just a frame laying on its side and it still refused to come out, mr Honda never left much room for that job the swine. But it's out now and the project begins.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
The engines are awkward buggers to get in and out of the frame, i found that having the sump off exhaust studs off and all the casings made the job a bit easier, but now i have done a frame mod so i can dismantle the top end in the frame, this is probably one of the best mods you can do on these 750's , it makes working on the engine a real pleasure , and being able to disasemble the engine's top end also lightens the load to make engine removal a doddle
Pete

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »
The engines are awkward buggers to get in and out of the frame, i found that having the sump off exhaust studs off and all the casings made the job a bit easier, but now i have done a frame mod so i can dismantle the top end in the frame, this is probably one of the best mods you can do on these 750's , it makes working on the engine a real pleasure , and being able to disasemble the engine's top end also lightens the load to make engine removal a doddle
Pete

I tried to get the cam cover off, it would have made such a difference to getting the engine out but it was not to be as you say, it didn't help having my wife on the other end of the frame mind you, having to direct her and watch she didn't get her fingers jammed at the same time is pure hell, worse than her map reading to be honest. :o

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
From memory I think that when you've removed the housing on top of the cam cover you have to rotate the front of the engine upwards until it virtually touches the top frame tubes, this allows the back of the gearbox to pass the frame mounts next to the kick start as they are both nearly the same shape.

Once you get the correct move on it you'l find it easier than it first looks.

The Cafe stuff you are thinking about, Honda has some really cool stuff that could give you an influence from the racers of that era. Just google CR750 and flick it to images to see some of the designs/colours/stance that was running then.
I guess traditional brit cafe racers just ripped off the racers of their day with long alloy tanks, single seats and dropped bars from track stuff all black and silver/bare metal so it would seem right to go the same way with Honda's own heritage.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »
From memory I think that when you've removed the housing on top of the cam cover you have to rotate the front of the engine upwards until it virtually touches the top frame tubes, this allows the back of the gearbox to pass the frame mounts next to the kick start as they are both nearly the same shape.

Once you get the correct move on it you'l find it easier than it first looks.

The Cafe stuff you are thinking about, Honda has some really cool stuff that could give you an influence from the racers of that era. Just google CR750 and flick it to images to see some of the designs/colours/stance that was running then.
I guess traditional brit cafe racers just ripped off the racers of their day with long alloy tanks, single seats and dropped bars from track stuff all black and silver/bare metal so it would seem right to go the same way with Honda's own heritage.

I love your style, you an old bastid from the 70s as well??

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Been to bike racing since I was born with family and friends doing bits of racing, so completely indoctrinated I guess.

Ran 750 SOHC Hondas in late 70's, CB900 and CBX 750 in the eighties, We really smoked these things around then and they treat them so gently now.

Funny enough I had a conversation today with someone that was happy to persuade her son-inlaw to give up bikes and sat there thinking I've never thought of being without a bike, ever.

Guess it keeps me out of trouble!

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
Been to bike racing since I was born with family and friends doing bits of racing, so completely indoctrinated I guess.

Ran 750 SOHC Hondas in late 70's, CB900 and CBX 750 in the eighties, We really smoked these things around then and they treat them so gently now.

Funny enough I had a conversation today with someone that was happy to persuade her son-inlaw to give up bikes and sat there thinking I've never thought of being without a bike, ever.

Guess it keeps me out of trouble!

Ok here's a tough question for you then, two really and I know that you will have the right answers.

Is a cafe racer worth more than a standard bike, a cr750 even nicer

Can you point me in the direction of where I can get a long tank, seat etc for a cafe, perhaps even a twin disc conversion would be nice. I am guessing that there must be somebody out there with the parts for these.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:38:25 PM by david451 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
When i was in the trade a "cafe" was worth less than standard as everybodies taste is different, Parts are always out there, just some of it is expensive!

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »
When i was in the trade a "cafe" was worth less than standard as everybodies taste is different, Parts are always out there, just some of it is expensive!

I was looking at some of the parts and you are correct, and cafe and cr style are nice but probably to the minority as you say much the same I guess in relation to what some folk do with cars. But more importantly as with cars you never get the money back you threw at it so it might be the same for bikes and once you get into the 5-8k bracket there are so many alternative modern bikes out there for that kind of money and it's the sensable side of me that's fighting with the red blooded side.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:38 PM »
Take a look at Carpy's website and see what he does with these old bikes may not be your cup of tea but just gives you an idea.

www.cb750cafe.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal