Author Topic: CB750K7 piston rings  (Read 4287 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB750K7 piston rings
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
Just bought 4 sets of OEM rings from Dave Silvers.  They are NPR (Nippon Piston Ring Co).  In each set there is ring that has a bright edge and a ring that looks to be plain cast iron.  The bright edge one has a "1N" mark stamped on it and feels slightly rounded (no sharp edges).  Am I correct in thinking the bright edge one is the No1 (compression) ring and should be installed with the marking facing the top, the plain ring would then be the No.2 ring?

Anyone had any experience?  I can't find any info on the NPR site and am waiting a reply from D.S.

Rob

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB750K7 piston rings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
Hi Rob, many years ago I asked about piston ring markings on the US site, here's the answers that I got.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14205.msg139736#msg139736

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
Just had the reply from D.S, it confirms what I thought! :-

The rings should be installed onto the piston thus;

The thick ring with the silver/grey edging and the "1N" marking goes on top. The "1N" mark faces upwards. As a general rule, any writing on rings always face upwards.

The thick black ring goes second.

The remaining 3 rings form the oil scraper which goes at the bottom, the  2 thin rings sandwich the serrated ring.

So away I go!!

Rob

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »

The thick ring with the silver/grey edging and the "1N" marking goes on top. The "1N" mark faces upwards. As a general rule, any writing on rings always face upwards.

The remaining 3 rings form the oil scraper which goes at the bottom, the  2 thin rings sandwich the serrated ring.

So away I go!!

Rob

Just remember that if there is a ridge on the top of the bore then standard rings can get broken if you don't hone it off, normally you would fit ridge dodgers, they have a recess cut out the top of the ring to miss the wear ridge. It will run but the first time you give it wellie the rings will break.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:22:32 AM »
In 30+ years the only Honda i ever found with a wear ridge was a PF(I think) 50 ($ stroke) with 90+ thousand on it

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:26 AM »
Mine has no wear ridge even after 35000 miles and ovality that's well within spec.  Must admit all the other aircooled engines that I have opened up have had the ridge but they weren't Honda, Honda are great!

Rob

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
Mine has no wear ridge even after 35000 miles and ovality that's well within spec.  Must admit all the other aircooled engines that I have opened up have had the ridge but they weren't Honda, Honda are great!

Rob

Only ever worked on two honda engines, my c50, first bike, bent a valve and set of piston rings, and my 250, rebore, camshaft and fingers, they were shit in the 70s. My mate had a 500 twin and even out the showroom it sounded like it was gona have a catastrophic engine and gearbox failure. It lasted a year and did in a gear and the camshaft, total shit, wasn't even nice to ride.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
you won't be wantin one of those then will ya  :P

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

So away I go!!

Rob

Just remember that if there is a ridge on the top of the bore then standard rings can get broken if you don't hone it off, normally you would fit ridge dodgers, they have a recess cut out the top of the ring to miss the wear ridge. It will run but the first time you give it wellie the rings will break.

Never heard of ridge dodgers, infact that sounds more like an april fools joke LOL, if i had such a ridge at the top of my cylinders i would regard it as time for a rebore and next size piston and rings
Pete

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »
 ::) "ring dodgers "sounds like some bloke  who would never be seen dead in a gay bar  :-*
 seriously though Mr Honda started out making piston rings so i think he was pretty much clued up in that department ,so i would have too agree that Honda internals are better than anything else about at the time. i have never known Honda's too burn oil, except past the valve guide oil seals  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »
RD rings are a common thing in the car world, made by Hepolite and Cord. Never seen any in the bike world tho'

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
Not that I have done it and it sounds bodgy but some old guy told me he fitted an extra base gasket to avoid rings hitting any ridge :)

We must abuse our bikes more 'up north' Bryan as I have seen lots of barrels with a wear ridge on Hondas - mainly 250's though
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »
As far as i am concerned Hondas wear as much as any jap manufacturers, i have a couple of sets of 750 barrels with wear ridges which i have aquired over time
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal