Author Topic: tappet came loose!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline ritchie-k1

• View Profile
tappet came loose!
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
Hi just thought I'd share my bike and a ride out i had at the weekend. I have a 750k6 which is a rolling project. I've owned the bike for 2 years now which I bought from my brother who after 27 years of ownership had declared that he wouldn't be riding it again. The bike had sat in his garage for around 8 years and had been well used before being laid up, living most of it's life under a tar pauling and being ridden all year round when in use. Since owning it I've chipped away at bringing it back to life putting various new parts onto it and fettling this and that, I've covered 2500 very pleasurable miles since I bought it. The engine is badly in need of a gasket set at the very least and it puts oil out of a few places (rebuilt a few years back by my short of funds, on the dole bro who i suspect reused old gaskets and silicone sealer to get the job done!) the frame has been badly painted with brushed smoothrite paint and the bike is generally very tatty. To my ride, I was out for my usual 120 mile round trip up to my favourite bikers cafe having fun and riding in my usual manner of decking out the lowly slung motad 4-1 around right handers, and changing up at 6 thousand rpm in the interest of the ailing motor when i missed a gear sending the revs skyward. Conscious of this and just a few miles up the road i did it again! except this time the revs went through the roof resulting in an immediate rattle from the motor. I stopped the engine and considered my position, 40 miles from home, no phone, on the edge of Alston Moor, which is quite desolate and lowly populated with a sick 750/4. I decided after restarting the engine that i would attempt to ride home slowly at low revs. after about 3 miles i lost a cylinder and stopped again, i was beginning to feel stuck. After letting the motor cool i decided to see if i could see anything obviously wrong using my limited tool kit. I got out my trusty adjustable spanner from under the seat and removed a tappet cover from no.4 exhaust to find that the tappet had completely unwound and was being held in place on the rocker by hitting the tappet cover!. I put it back in, roughly set a gap, started it up and sweet as a nut purring again!, i was well chuffed. Being a bit cocky i decided to return to my original plan of taking in the cafe before riding home which i did. I've since reset all of the valve clearances for peace of mind around the tightness of the other tappet locknuts. On reflection it was nice to be able to be able to actually fettle the bike at the roadside with basic tools and limited mechanical knowledge, well done Honda for what you built me 34 years ago!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: tappet came loose!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
That was lucky, it could have gone nasty if the adjuster broke loose and went flying round the engine, it always pays to have a basic tool kit with you
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
That was a good save, it's always useful to carry a good adjustable spanner for most bikes also to cover the rear spindle nut.

I've never used silicone on these motors, only Blue Hylomar on any gaskets that need help. with clean surfaces it always sticks and seals really well (I should sell this stuff for a living, Ha).

At least you're getting it out and about, that's quite a decent length run out as well.

Offline ritchie-k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the interest in the thread fellas. Yeah i felt a bit lucky not to have broken anything.

A few spanners under the seat i suppose is a must especially on an old bike that's been round the block a few times. I'll be seeking some advice on gaskets, sealants and stuff when I get round to doing the engine some time hopefully in the not to distant future. Cheers. 

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Hi Ritchie , don't you love these old bikes  8), i was up at Hartside Cafe saturday afternoon, took the missus for a blast up there as she had never been before  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline ritchie-k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
Hi Mick, I the 750/4 is a total pleasure to own and ride, it's just a nice strong bike with a proper look and feel about it.

It sounds like we must use some of the same brilliant roads, I'm usually up the cafe a couple of times a month at least. Lets know if you fancy meeting up there for a brew sometime, cheers Ritchie.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal