Author Topic: First ride misery.  (Read 8018 times)

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: First ride misery.
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
Just had a 15 mins jaunt around some local roads, max limit of 40mph so no real testing, but seems ok.

Not quite as quick as i was expecting, but as its my first proper bike thats no bad thing :)

It hesitates sometimes when you whack the throttle open from low speeds but i seem to remember reading this is tunable with the air screws so ill have a little play with those.

Ill go a bit further this afternoon, see if i can build up some confidence in it.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »
Hi Greme glad to hear the part helped 8), hope you get the rest of the little niggles sorted, cheers Mick.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
Yeah, thanks alot for that, without that advancer it would still be stuck in the garage.

Front brake feels a bit poor. Its been rebuilt, has HEL lines and new pads. Im hoping the pads will bed in a bit.

If not, ill convert to twin discs.

Not sure how it should be, doubt i ever will unless i get to ride another cb750.

The brake on my old 125 (i know, LOTS less weight!) was great, could get the front tyre chirping with perfect controll, could lift the back wheel if i wanted too.

The CB750 front brake only seems to slow it down, feels like the brake on my work colegues crappy scooter LOL.

Ill wait and see if it improves before making any judgements though.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
Graeme did you find the little badge i put in for you? it was tied in the top of the bag the advancer was in? cheers Mick.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
No, but i still have the packaging, ill go check.

Edit, got it, thanks! Love it  8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:41:08 PM by Graeme77 »

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »
Nice one  8)

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
It will kick start now, easily, there wasnt a hope in hell of getting it to kick start before even when it was running ok.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
The front brake on the 750 can be made better with braided hoses etc but it will never meet todays standards, you have to think about braking a little earlier  ;), sounds like you have got it sussed if its starting a lot better  8), the bogging on the throttle might just need some fine tuning  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
Im sure ill get used to them (the brakes).

I take it the front brake on these isnt man enough to get the front wheel skipping from say a 40mph HARD stop?
I guess that also depends on your tyres, michelin macadam in this case.

Ill go for a ride with a screwdriver later and play with the air screws. Still need to balance the carbs properly at some point, i should probably do that first really.

My timing light has gone a bit odd too, so ill borrow another next week to check the timing at full advance, but yes, it seems to be almost there, just a little tweeking to perfect.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
Not even with twin discs will you get the tyre to "Howl" mate, they are nothing like modern stuff but WAAAAY better than the Old Brit stuff that was about at the time

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
The 'modern' bike was a 1984 kawasaki ar125, not exactly new :)

But as i say, very light so easy to make stop.

Just put another 10 miles or so on it and its getting better. Brake is nice and progressive and has good feel so its not scary or anything.

Might check the cam chain and tappets again, top end is a little noisy.
Doesnt sound like there are any problems, but you can here the chain and tappets working.

Maybe having been in cars for so long im just not used to hearing an engine rather than hearing an exhaust.

Gearchange can be a bit clonky, its fine as long as you change like you mean it. I hit a false neutral between 3rd and 4th which was surprising. It was a reasonably swift but thoughtless upchange though.

Runs nice though, not missed or hesitated again. I tweeked the air screws out another 1/4 and it seems to be happy. Feels stable and controlled in corners but i think the fairing may need to go, its a little restrictive.

Going for a ride to high beech, epping forrest tomorrow with a couple of friends, that should settle everything down well :)

Thanks for all the help getting it to this stage, i think this bike will be fun.

HondaFour

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
Been reading the posts and I empathise with you, keep going, doing it carefully and methodically and the time will surely come when the only things you will have to do between years is oil changes, polishing and servicing, riding and keeping the front brake piston free!  ;)

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »
Hopefully your right, at least for the next few months.

Once the weather turns ill pull the bike apart, go through the engine and powder coat the frame.

To be honest, my main concern is loosing the front end in a corner. Did that a few times when i was young and overly enthusiastic. Im overly cautious now but that will probably go reasonably soon then ill chuck it into a corner too fast and it will go sliding down the road LOL.

Hopefully im wiser as well as older now.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »
I call these single discs the first anti-lock as you'd have to have hands like king kong to squeeze hard enough to get a lock up in the dry.

As you've found though they are very nicely progressive and give good feel that you can work with without anything scary happening.

Front to rear grip is quite well balanced on these and you are unlikely to get the front to let go in the dry without extreme input, it's more likey that you'll run wide in a corner as they are quite long and lazy steering so watch out for bends that tighten more than you first thought.

My experience of double discs on a K2 was that they would easily make the front tyre howl and lock if you hit it hard, that's with standard hoses and single master-cylinder.

Good you got the ignition sorted, as you've found the std setup works fine for a road engine and you can fix it yourself!

There are usually no tapping noises if all is ok but they always have a softish rustle that's unlike most other fours, guess you'll get more used to what's normal as you go along.

Enjoy getting out and about with it.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
Softish rustle sums the noise up well, it doesnt sound tappety, but you can hear it working.

Im sure its fine :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal