Author Topic: Stator removal/starter clutch.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Stator removal/starter clutch.
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
The starter motor has started missing, it sometimes just spins without turning the engine.

I took the alternator cover off and the starter clutch seems ok, but the big wheel is loose.

This screws to the back of the stator right?
I assume it shouldnt slide along the length of the shaft by 5mm? I assume it should be screwed tight to the stator?

Assumign im right, how can i get the stator off without the proper puller? The proper puller threads into the stator and pushes against the end of the shaft right?

Is it safe to re-install the center bolt and give it a couple of whacks with some pressure applied behind the stator?

Unless the big cog is supposed to be loose, in which case i may as well leave it alone.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stator removal/starter clutch.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
I dont mean stator do i, i mean rotor...
Big metal bit on end of crank LOL.

Aberdonian James

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Hi Graeme.
I've just replaced my starter clutch so am fairly up-to-date with this assembly. The large gear wheel behind the rotor is NOT bolted to the rotor. It is driven by the starter clutch, the rollers of which grab the shaft of the large gear wheel when the starter motor turns. As soon as the engine fires the clutch freewheels allowing the engine to turn faster than the starter. It's the starter clutch mechanism which is (or should be) firmly attached to the rotor.
As for removing the rotor from the shaft, I tried all sorts of pullers without effect. Eventually, I gave in and bought the special tool from David Silver. I think it cost about

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »
I guessed it wasnt attached, so its all back together now. I will take it apart one day and inspect the starter clutch as it seems a little suspect when in use.

The tool from DS is now

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »
On other Hondas I've owned I seem to remember that the stator can be removed by screwing in the rear wheel spindle and hitting it with a big hammer.
Dave
Melbourne.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal