Author Topic: Can you modify a Motad system?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline roo

• View Profile
Can you modify a Motad system?
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »

Does anyone know if it's possible to put another (louder) can on the std Motad downpipes?

Failing that, has anyone stripped out the baffles, or modified them, successfully on this type of pipe? I'm tempted to get the angle grinder out and see what happens but thought I'd ask first ;D

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Can you modify a Motad system?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
I've drilled holes in the end of a Motad on a 750F1. Motad agreed that it would improve the sound.

My 500/4 "Silver Machine" has Motad header with a home-made can grafted on.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline roo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »

That looks good - I was thinking about something similar, maybe grafting on a goldstar type silencer?

Will try drilling it out first. Did you drill through both baffles? i.e. front and back, or just the one that can be felt if you stick your finger in it  :o

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
I drilled holes in the end of my motad when I had one; It certainly helped a bit.

However, when I changed to my laser pipe I was amazed how restrictive the Motad had been, particularly in the lower end of the rev range.  With bigger jets and after market air filters and a better exhaust there is definitely more power to be had but it does take three kicks to start up whereas before it would start after one.

Many years ago, on my CX500 I made a two into one system using flexible exhaust pipe from a tractor shop and a BSA Goldstar exhaust.  Sounded great and worked wonderfully.

If you do modify an exhaust it is worth making carefull test runs to make sure the engine does not get too hot and experiment to get the jetting right.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:36:23 AM »
It wasn't very scientific (or even very neat). We just drilled holes in the end of the silencer.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
for one of the nicest looking non original systems I've seen (currently in my shed and not fitted) someone had taken a BSM sytem, removed the silencer and welded aq Triumph rocket 3 raygun silencer in it's place. one from the original 70's triumph, rare as hens teeth and it turns out expensive enough to have sold on and paid for a new exhaust system but no one realised this before cutting and shutting the thing. Awesome sound, tyre smoking preformance with a k&n filter system that retained the original airbox nmanifolds so it looked standard until you lifted the tool tray. A bit loud for early morning commuting and when the bike was fiirst delivered we heard it comming a clear 6 miles away even not being thrashed. I'd be very keen to copy it in stainless.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal