Author Topic: One for your diaries - superb event coming up  (Read 1257 times)

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
One for your diaries - superb event coming up
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »
Now this may sound a long way off in terms of both time and distance, but bear with me - The Shetland Classic Motor Show and Tours 2012 dates are now confirmed, it is from 31st May to 5th June 2012, with the exhibition itself being over the weekend of 2nd and 3rd June.
I have to say I am not one who habitually attends shows - I did Stafford about 3 years ago, I went to the NEC Bike Show for several years on the run but haven't been to that for maybe four years or more, but the Shetland Classic is different. It is held every two years, so if you don't go this time then you can't go again until 2014. I thought i'd give it a go in 1998 as a one-off. I have been back for every one since, so in an anoracky sort of way this will be my eighth. Yes it is a long way - for me it is 370 miles to Aberdeen, then there's the overnight ferry trip to Lerwick. Some travel a lot further, but as far as I am aware everyone who has been has enjoyed it. The Show itself attracts (as I recall) about 500 exhibits in various groups from bicycles through stationary engines, motorcycles, cars, commercials and ultimately Traction Engines (5 of them in 2010), and exhibitors from all over the UK and beyond - Faroe, Denmark, Holland - even Wales. One bloke comes regularly in a Vincent with wicker sidecar. If you want to see dedication personified, watch his other half trying to walk after getting out of the sidecar at Aberdeen docks!
Last time the oldest vehicle was a 1904 Darracq, and the bike exhibits run from the early years of the last century up to the present day. Exhibits are either in the inside halls of the very large Clickimin Centre in Lerwick, or in the grounds around it. If you put your bike in as an exhibit it doesn't mean it gets locked away - it can be parked outside overnight (with security patrol free of charge for peace of mind) and you can use it as often as you like to explore the place, or you can join one of the Tours which take place on the two days before and the two days after the main weekend, depending on the class of vehicle - car, bike, commercial, and the date of the vehicle - pre or post 1980, or was it 1960, I forget, but you get the idea.
For a taste of what was there in previous years there is a fairly crappy website at http://shetlandcms.co.uk/    but the photos are good and give you an idea of things.
If you want to express an interest in going then you need to contact Graham Johnston at graham.johnston10@btinternet.com or write to The Shetland Classic Car Club c/o 69 Gilbertson Road,Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0QJ. Bookings start in November and spaces on the ferry are limited, so if you at least express an interest then you will get early notification of what is available. They do arrange discounts on the ferry fares, and a variety of packages to get best value for money. There are loads of hotels, B&Bs, and camping with excellent facilities.
Additional to all this, the people are incredibly friendly and welcoming, the scenery is amazing, and it is as far from a Monday morning as it is possible to get.
I'm going, and all being well the Foale project is too. And the wife of course.
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal