SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

front forks

(1/4) > >>

david451:
Working away on my project and the next job is the forks.

Will I get the oil out and in through the drain on the leg perhaps with a syringe, was reading that if you take the caps off the top that there is a big zebidie in there that is gona launch into my face. The forks are off the bike of course, but they don't need stripped they are fine, just want to change the oil.

Read that 145cc is what is required per leg, is that correct.

The other thing is that the bike came with mental chopper bars so my cables are too long, I read that they are crimped on, anybody think I will get away with cutting off the nipples drilling a hole and soldering them, or is there a better way around this.

K2-K6:
There is not usually much preload on the fork springs and they are quite easy to undo the caps. I do them with a socket/short extension/ T-bar to undo with them in soft vice jaws (if out of the bike).

If you keep leaning on them as they come undone you can gently release the cap as you feel the threads end to avoid them pinging out.

Putting them back in, I lean on the cap while turning it anti-clockwise until you feel the thread ends pass each other, then start to do them up. This helps to avoid any cross threading.

Cable nipples are probably "cast" in soft metal onto the cables. I've found it easiest to replace them by cutting a section from a brass screw, drill a hole for the cable and a small countersink for the side that the cable isn't approaching, then clean and solder to new length.

If the cables are in good condition you may find that they have more value to someone needing that spec and so replace them with std length.

david451:
Thanks for that, going to order a few bits from David silvers tomorrow.

They have two types of chain,  split one and O ring one 18 and 50 squid, is it worth fitting the O ring one although its going to cost me a splitter/riveter anorl, but I need one anyway for my other bikes.

Bryanj:
DO NOT fit the "O" ring chain if its a 500/550. Would be nice to know what bike you are talking about, I know its in the 750 section but that does not always mean much!!

Tomb:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on December 01, 2011, 06:39:34 AM ---DO NOT fit the "O" ring chain if its a 500/550.
--- End quote ---

Ok I'll ask ;D, why? :-[

And is it going to be expensive if I have fitted an O ring chain :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version