SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

paint

(1/3) > >>

david451:
Done a bit of searching and cant find any real help with the paint other than my candy orange is difficult to do and it's about 500 quid to get somebody to do it.

Does anybody know what the paint codes are for this and what the process is for laying on the paint. I know that Honda did not have codes for doing this but since folk are painting them these days there must be codes for the paints they are using.

I have all the equipment for painting, not gone to water based paints yet, doubt I will to be honest but would prefer to do the painting myself. that's part of the fun during a restoration.

Bryanj:
Its a three pack candy paint and is the "nasty" poisonous type needing full air mask mate. Try RS paints who used to be in Bradford but i think have moved south for the paint, they did do all the Honda colours

david451:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on December 15, 2011, 03:28:51 PM ---Its a three pack candy paint and is the "nasty" poisonous type needing full air mask mate. Try RS paints who used to be in Bradford but i think have moved south for the paint, they did do all the Honda colours

--- End quote ---

The paint is over rated, health and safety has gone mad on this. I know some guys who are not only not using an air fed mask but are daft and still not using a mask of any kind. Like any chemical you need to keep it away from skin, eyes, ears and dont breath it in. We have gone to water based paints but the clearcote is still solvent based and worse than the base coat and primers, and shit to be honest

If you use a mask suitable for the chemicals in the paint, full suit and eye protection you will be safe "can't guarantee that". If you are worried go and buy a biochemical suit from the army surplus and either use the paint mask or the full face gas mask. These items were designed for the worst stuff that anybody could throw at us.

I think that over the years I must have inhaled tons of shit from doing clutches and brakes on all sorts of vehicles, the worst being trucks, and all we had was a paper mask. It went everywhere stuck to clothes skin in hair everywhere and all over the workshop. At some point H&S is going to stop this practice and they would if there was an easy solution.

But you are right Bryan it's not nice, smells nice though. In the 70s we started using it, in those days it took ages to go hard, this new stuff goes off much better, but then we wore basic masks.

david451:

--- Quote from: david451 on December 15, 2011, 01:23:53 PM ---Done a bit of searching and cant find any real help with the paint other than my candy orange is difficult to do and it's about 500 quid to get somebody to do it.

Does anybody know what the paint codes are for this and what the process is for laying on the paint. I know that Honda did not have codes for doing this but since folk are painting them these days there must be codes for the paints they are using.

I have all the equipment for painting, not gone to water based paints yet, doubt I will to be honest but would prefer to do the painting myself. that's part of the fun during a restoration.

--- End quote ---

Managed to get my paint ok, you are a gem they are still trading, bought half litre base and topcoat, I have my own clear, but it was fairly costly, but it's the right thing eh.

Thanks again

Seamus:
That request rang a bell,
Perhaps this link would be interesting

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=3392.0

Good luck

Seamus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version