Author Topic: 500 K cafe racer conversion - build thread  (Read 60188 times)

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
500 K cafe racer conversion - build thread
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
Time to get the 500 four back on the road after a break of three years, this time this time to finish the cafe racer job that was started about 17 years ago

Done : Full Engine rebuild about 3000 miles ago.

To do:
K&N Air Filters (done)
Straight through pipes (done)
Rejet with 110 mains/ clean / syncronise carbs (done)
Rebuild both wheels with new rims & spokes(done)
Dual Disc front brake conversion (done)
Drill front sprocket cover
Remodel Front Mudguard (done)
Drill brake discs (done)
Detag & shorten Frame (done)
Replace stock speedo/ rev counter (done)
Ace Bars (done)
Custom Tarozzi Rear Sets on rear foot peg hangers (done)
Relocate Battery  (done)
Rewire from front to back and everywhere in between (done)
New Headlight (done)
New idicators (done)
New speedo (done)
New rear lights set up
New longer rear shocks (done)
New front mudguard (done)
Polish alloy (done)
Braided Stainless Fuel & Brake Hoses (done)
Stainless Bolts througout (done)
Refurbish Front Forks (done)
New Rear Shock Swing Arm Bushes (done)
New Plugs
Powder Coat the frame
Investigate effect of longer rear shocks on bike geometry and make front end adjustments if necessary (nearly done)
Fit Steering Damper (done)
Fit grease nipples to front break caliper arm pivot points (done)
Tune carbs
Get MOT, tax and insurance
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:24:13 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Wheel Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
First job ... rebuild wheels with new chrome rims and steel spokes
references:
A good wheel build thread from Do the Ton: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32345.10
Article from web bike world :  http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/spoke-wheels/

never done a wheel build before ... expect some mistakes  :P

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:22:25 PM by Ewan 500 K »

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

Offline kendo57

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: 500 K cafe racer conversion - build thread
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
Looks like some of the outer spokes go under the inner spokes.
Did you have any trouble getting the wheel parts, took my rear spokes/rim 4 months
to arrive.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
Before lacing your rear drum check the liner for cracks :-\

And I wouldn't bother with electronic ignition, the original set-up is so bleedin reliable

Looking nice and shiny, if the rest of your build is as good this bike is gonna be nice, keep the photos coming.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »
Steel liner is good ... cheers.. and been hoarding some morris Minor brake hubs for past 15 years "just in case" .. and just couldn't resist picking up a 2nd hand Dyna S on ebay  ;)   Engine had a major refurbishment about 3000 miles (8 years !) ago.  No probs with availability of spokes n rims at DSS... except that I'd also ordered two new brake pistons that were out of stock and DSS were reluctant to send wheels / rims as a part order... so it did take a couple of months for them to arrive (and why didn't I get stainless spokes anyway !)   Hoping I've laced the wheel right second time around... will need to look at it again with a fresh mind t'morro....got a bit minced today with the 5 dimensional aspect of it . Only concern just now is that some spokes are rock tight towrads end of thread being visible, while others are still well waggly. We'll see what a fresh look in the morning and a spoke wrench brings to things. Think I fancy some black pinstrpes around inside of the new rims.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:24:32 AM by Ewan 500 K »

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
I recently rebuilt both of my wheels with DSS rims and spokes. My first time too.  I have to say when laced up they came out remarkably true. The nipples all screwed in - to my eye - exactly the same amount. It was a joy to assemble.  In terms of truing them, all I had to do was circle around the spokes giving them a turn at a time until all were tight.

Had you got it right..?? are they finished and trued now...?

Keep the original airbox...!!! K&N's are rubbish and noisy. Using the original air box is loads better. Its a still air chamber, if you want more air cut an oval slot in the bottom under the filter.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:33 AM »
DONT drill holes in the clutch cover as oil will leak out

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:15 AM »
cheers folks ... clutch cover holes abandoned.  K&N's staying as a feature though as I'm opening the middle up ..... relocating battery / electrics etc and god its a pain in the arse getting the carbs off with the original filter on. Not finished the wheels yet .... family stuff keeps getting in the way and spoke wrench still to arrive in the pst! ..... its going to be slow prgress

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
After running k&n style filters for a while I got right royally cheesed off with the bad running and went back to stock. Only exception was my 500/4 with a k&n kit that replaced the airbox but used the stock mixing chamber so totally original looking unless you took the seat off. That did work well but the individual filters had the bike running quite eratically and nowhere as close to as good as original preformance.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline kendo57

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
I fitted K/Ns to mine and i am having issues with the starting and tickover. I cannot go back to the airbox
as the bikes been changed so i am searching the forums for any advice.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
I use open belmouths on my 500/4 carbs, (avatar bike) it runs really sweet, I made my own 4 into 1 exhaust system thats reasonably quiet and bought new carb kits with a view to using the main jets supplied in the kits as a start point and drill out later, after many plug chops I decided to stick with the original jets.

After balancing the carbs it ticks over beautifully
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
I use K & N filters and laser exhaust.  With bigger jets it runs better than standard.  Tickover is perfect and no flat spots.  I can't remember what jets I used now but I think it could be 110?  Someone here will know more about this than me.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
More of a question than answer, but what kind of fuel economy are members getting with alterd jettings and filters. I still have mine in a box and May try fitting them again at some point if i can get the carbs balanced too as that May have been what made the bike run rough. I found it worst with the laser system which was also a tad loud for my liking - i preferred my motad neta pipes over others I've tried but am looking forward to trying a 4 into 2 system which is waiting in the shed.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Carb
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
Carbs now have 110 jets & K&N's paired with 4 into 4 straight through pipes. Runs sweet with that set up, but was essential to balance the carbs. Also used a coloutune to check idle sped air mix, which seems fine according to the colourtune. Fuel consumption is ridiculous -- 25mpg ish ?? .  SPOKE WRENCH ARRIVED THIS MORNIN > WOOP WOOP Front wheel built and trued to 0.2mm vertical and horizontal. First wheel build, wasn't too difficult.
Photos showing roughly what finished job will look like , minus rear sets, new headlight, dual disk, master cyliner, indicators and shorty front mudguard . Dilemma = what to do about rear nudguard, want to keep it clean and open, but dont want muck all over the K&N's
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:21:46 PM by Ewan 500 K »

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
I have found the fuel consumption is fairly good with the 110. k&N + Laser set up.  Of course it all depends on how hard the bike is ridden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal