Author Topic: Power consumption, E-ignition vs Points. also - spare advance cam?  (Read 463 times)

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Has anyone performed a test to see the difference in power consumption between running the OEM points system vs a DSS E-ignition (which is on my 400)?  I'm curious about that, suspecting that points would require less power.   

In the spirit of tinkering, on that subject I am looking for an OEM (points) ignition advance cam - JUST the cam that fits on the advance unit.  Anybody in the UK have a spare they would sell me?  DSS has the entire advance unit but I don't want to spend £58+ for that when I only need the cam.  I have all the rest of the OEM system, but I guess when a previous owner installed the e-ignition, he/she tossed the cam or forgot to put it in the little bag with the breaker plate that stayed with the bike.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Power consumption, E-ignition vs Points. also - spare advance cam?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 08:31:30 AM »
You might need to check the brand of advancer as the part will be probably be different - there are two iirc one is tec the other is ND I think.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 09:10:35 AM »
OK, didn't realize there were two different advance units.  Thanks.

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 09:22:04 AM »
Give Steve a shout, he may be able to help.
https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#electrical

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 10:27:44 AM »
 Thanks re Steve!  :) 

No joy! :-\

I suspect I'd have to buy the new unit from DSS if I want to tinker with points.  But I don't have £58 worth of tinkering in mind for this...

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »
I've sent a PM I might be able to help.

Assuming that Honda paired  the same brand of spark advancer with the ignition plate I have a Tec one that is from my 400.
If you check the diameter of the shaft the one I have is as follows.

Length/Height inc: flanged part 29.65 mm approx, Inside diameter at flanged section (inner face) 15.2 mm, main inside diameter of shaft 15.0-14.95 mm approx.
The ND one is substantially larger or smaller i/d I forget what way round it is
All measurements approx only taken with my calipers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 11:27:17 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 11:15:29 AM »
For a CB400, it has 333 number on it

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 12:07:16 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll check it later this afternoon if I get to the garage.  If not, tomorrow when I get back from having a new set of K82's mounted.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Update:  I ended up going back to the USA before continuing with this "project."  While there I came across a complete points plate/advance unit in a garage sale for 10 USD!  I checked the condensers  with a real capacitor tester (not a multimeter) and they show good as far as capacitance and voltage.  Points are original ND and look essentially unused.

Now I'm back in the UK eyeing these parts wondering whether I REALLY want to install the OEM system or just leave the perfectly functioning DSS EI in place.  Logic/common sense would dictate leaving the EI; but I have this NON-common sense urge to have the points in there...

I haven't awakened the 400 yet from it's winter slumber - been too cold/wet for me but hope to do that sometime this week.  It's probably not often that someone has a perfectly running machine and intentionally changes something that may make it less so and I can't think of any operational advantage that the points would provide!   Yes, they will provide a spark with less voltage than EI but I haven't seen any case with my 400 where low voltage is an issue.  ::)   So more thinking...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal