Author Topic: Oil lines  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Oil lines
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
Was just looking at the oil lines on my F1, seems sensible to replace anything vaguely rubbery on a 35 year old bike. Noticed these braided ones from HEL that look pretty but I notice they are held on with glorified hose clamps rather than the crimped on originals, presumably I would have to cut off the old crimped fitting? anyone done this? any opinions on whether these lines safe enough? ( I assume the oil pressure is not that high in them? )

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oil lines
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »

Not sure whether they're the same things, but Wemoto do braided lines for the K series - I've got some, and they're great.  Much cleaner than the originals.

You're right, the ends are jubilee-type clips as opposed to the original crimped type, but they're fine - especially when you realise that the original end joints (which you need to remove from the old hoses) have about half an inch of pipe that the crimps fit around.  IIRC you'll need to cut the crimped sections off and then fit the ends into the braided pipes.  Just use a dremel or something similar and take your time.  The jubilee clips make fastening the new pipes in place a doddle - but just remember to put the heads of the clip adjusters at an angle you can reach when you fit the hoses to the engine so that you can tweak them if they're not quite tight enough.

And work on one hose at a time.  The ends are different and you don't want to get them confused!

HTH.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »
I believe the F1 lines will be longer than the K series. Certainly K0/K1 are shorter.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:02:22 AM »
They sound similar to me. Thanks guys I will check them out and check the length before I start cutting!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal