Author Topic: Fastner Locking  (Read 1615 times)

701arvn

Fastner Locking
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
Not wishing to bore the more knowledgeable amongst you, but I stumbled on this thread and found it very interesting:

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-and-workshop-talk/167681-do-you-loctite-everything.html

take a look at post number 4.

Andy.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Fastner Locking
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Good to know.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
If lock washers are as u/s as some posters imply, they'd better take a look at the various fastners I've undone, a lot where the ut actually had a raised lump of metal where the spring washer had gouged the nut when removing it. I rarely use threadlocking compound but do often use spring washers and copper slip and stuff genrally stays done up until I get a spanner and remove it, in fact I can think of very few if any bolts on my bikes that have fallen out or come undone in 10 years of riding all year round. Natrually if nylocks were specified originally I use them but I must admit to reuing them if in good condition, if the nylock insert is worn then that is when the tread locker compound comes out, and where its specified for jobs like brakes.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:43:04 AM »
Can't be arsed with threadlocker, just use a couple of turns of PTFE tape

701arvn

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
Mathewmosse

sadly I found the discussion on the thread quite fascinating; I think's it's further down somebody makes the distinction between locking and impeding the loosening of the nut.

Basically, that the spring washer may slow the nut coming off (via the groove you mention); but it doesn't lock it.

This may be one of those fine distinctions significant only if you are building space rockets and jet fighters and not if putting old motorbikes together.

Personally, I've always sworn by the spring washer, as I can't be bothered with loctite either but I am now having my doubts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal