Author Topic: Comstar Wheels  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Paull

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Comstar Wheels
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
Hi All,
Just what some advise really.
Has anyone drilled out the rivets in the rim to separate the spokes hub etc. and can you bolt them back together, say with dome nuts and stud.  :o
I also have not got it to rev up past 5500rpm it has no air filter and I want to put pods on it, so I assume I need bigger main jets, will I use 102 or 118 mains. :-\
Thanks for any help
Paul
S**t Happens

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Comstar Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to dismantle comstar wheels, if you do they will be worthless scrap :'(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
I've unbolted the rim and spokes from a Comstar hub, they are bolted together then the threads drilled and pinned between nut and bolt and therefore not meant to come apart again.

As they are made that way in the first place you could assume that they could be put back together in the same way but I agree with Hairy, don't try it unless you have a spare wheel that you're prepared to chuck in the bin.

I needed a car back wheel in my 550 coz its a sidecar tug, I cut out the middle of a 2CV wheel and bolted it on the comstar hub.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
How was the 2cv wheel / tyre on sidecar duty? How well did it last? What sidecar was it used with? (how heavy) and did it fit the standard swingarm?
Re original post, Definately don't try dismantling a comstar wheel if you want to re assemble as a comstar. If you do, I'd like a hub to try a 2cv wheel on my sidecar outfit.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
I went from 900 miles out of a rear tyre to loooots of miles with the car tyre, so many that the tyre is still on the bike now, though it hasn't turned a wheel for a couple of years.

It also made handling miles better, much more rubber on the road, I'd also left the bike on standard gearing coz it could pull it Ok, but with the 15" rear it lowered gearing and made the bike a whole lot more fun to ride.

I have a military Ural/Dnepr sidecar, and yep the 2CV wheel fitted the swing arm no prob. I'll do some pics when I get time, and in a thread of its own instead of ruining other folks' threads, sorry :-[
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Paull

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
Hi Gents,
I wont muck with them then, just clean them up and polish.
Thanks for the advise.
Paul
S**t Happens

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal