SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Suitable wire for lighting sub-loom

(1/1)

the-chauffeur:

Folks

After reading Hondaman's thoughts on the effects of using a halogen headlight with 40-year old switchgear, I've decided to looking at making up a sub-loom to allow the light switches/power to be run via relays.  In his book, Hondaman reckons the relays can be fitted into the headlight bowl, but I've got a relatively close fitting chrome dish on the back of mine and I have grave reservations about the amount of spare room in there.  So what I intend to do is make up a sub-loom that runs from the headlight back to the space by the battery and fit the relays in there, together with a relay to take the weight off the keyswitch.

With the back story out the way, what I need is some guidance as to what wire to order to make the loom up with.  Can I ask whether someone can take a look at the vehicle wiring products cable page for me and let me know whether I need to order Ref 16 or go for the heavier duty Ref 25.

Yup - it's as easy as that.  Thanks in advance.

LesterPiglet:
Seeing as 15 amp is the biggest fuse we have I'm sure Ref 16 would be ample.

Spitfire:
If I remember correctly when I rebuilt the F1 I used 1.0 mm2 wiring, I bought it from Halfords, it matched the original wiring on the bike, however I was only restoring wiring for the rear light/indicators, for other areas a heavier cable could be required.
So I would go for Ref 16.

Cheers

Dennis

kifer:
You can work out amps needed by  deviding watts by volts ie  100w devided by 12v = 8.34amps I would be tempted if pos to keep relay close to headlamp [ small waterproof box maybe ]  easy for switch wire for relay coil and load length will be kept at a minimum on halogen. Hope this helps good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version