SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Front brake Resevoir problem? Bleeding Brakes!!!!!

(1/4) > >>

Timbo45:
Hi Folks

I've not been on for a while mainly because I'm close to BryanJ and he HAS become my world of knowledge!

I'm sure Bryan will know the answers I'm looking for but our paths have crossed in the night recently and I've not managed to speak to him about my problem.

Anyway, master cylinder rebuild, new BOTTOM braided hose (Thanks to BJ), new piston and seal (again thanks to BJ for getting the old piston out), new bleed nipple (bet you can't guess who did that?) and it just wont bleed out!

It's bleeding to a certain extent as The brake gets about 25% on it right at the end but thats it. i have checked all the connections and all seams good. One thing I have noticed is that if I try to pull the lever in with the top off the resevoir fluid spurts out of the hole with the small pin hole in it. is this correct or does this indicate that the master cylinder is not functioning correctly?

Any help would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED as I'm so close to finishing my project.

I will post pics when it's finished but not before:-)

Thanks in anticipation.

Timbo

mickwinf:
im having exactly the same problem ! If you leave the resovoir top off while bleeding fluid spurts all over. Mine bleeds so no bubbles appear but still lever pulls back almost to handlebars. I also have rebuilt the master cyl and caliper and renewed the lower hose with a braided one. Please help us!!

Bryanj:
Its normal for fluid to squirt out of the small hole, if fact thats one of the "tests" if the brake is binding!

Is the caliper adjusted to the correct 6 thou clearance?

Q Does the lever come all the way back to the bars or not if not
Leave it a couple of days and re-bleed

i have also found that two things can happen;

(1) after a complete strip and rebuild the lever will get firmer after a while so as long as the brake stops you without the lever hitting the bars live with it

(2) a lot of levers wear at the pivot and there is frequently a lot of "Play" before the lever starts moving the piston--New lever and pivot bolt will help this and i have seen, on US master cylinders, a nickle araldited onto the piston end to take up play.

daz:
I found if you gently pull the lever in a small amount, as in pull in release constantly, a very small amount so fluid does not squirt every where, you get small air bubbles released that eventually bleeds the brake. Has worked for me a number of times cheers Daz

Timbo45:
Thanks Chaps for the support, I think you may be onto something Bryan,
Just about to go and check my clearances!!!!!!!

I did notice if you pull the lever in slowly the squirting doesn't happen.

I was thinking maybe the master cylider was assembled incorrectly and just quirting the pressure back into the resevoir instead of down the hose.

i'll let you know how things go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version