Author Topic: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc  (Read 2012 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
Hi
Im looking at replacing my rectifier etc on my K5 ( eBay Number 120959950835) anyone bought such a thing ? There is a plug that looks like it just plugs in but then it has two diode type wires where do they go ??
Anyone got any instructions for such a thing ..

Part on eBay is half the price of any I've seen !!!!

Thanks

Amos
Amos

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »

Amos

That unit is wired to work with bikes with a separate regulator and rectifier. 

When my K2 left the factory, it had both units - the original rectifier was fitted with the plastic connector; the regulator connected to the loom by means of three wires with female spade connectors on the ends (white, black and green).  The unit on eBay takes place of both those bits, leaving just a green (earth) wire from the loom.

I've replaced my two with a unit that's very similar to the one in the advert, but I got mine from Silver's - and yes, it was about twice the price of the one on eBay.  I dunno what the wiring arrangement on the K5's is like, but the modern solid state replacement is far more reliable (for me) than the original - it also doesn't require any adjustment (the original regulator can be adjusted).

The one drawback is that it's not a simple bolt-on job because of the battery tray design.  Again, I dunno what the K5 is like, but the K2 has a captive bolt that holds a sub-assembly on to the side.  I took the sub-assembly off, drilled the captive bolt out, drilled a second hole and put my own bolts through the tray from the inside.

I dunno whether you can see what I mean from this:

. . . or this . . .

(ignore the relays - they're installed to take the weight off the headlight switches, but I need to fit them properly)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
Use the contact seller link and ask if it comes with full instructions/diagram. If not walk away.

I suspect the white goes to one of the reg wires and maybe the black as well but no guarantee on that

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »

Sorry - yeah - that was what I was trying to say . . .

. . . the black and white wires go to the regulator connectors in the loom.  Everything else is contained in the plastic plug.

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
Thanks
Anyone got instructions for one of these ? You can scan and put on the site . I've contacted the seller but they don't have any instructions as they are able to be fitted to several different bikes.
Mine will plug into the big white plug buts where the other two wires go and which way round !!!

Thanks

Amos
Amos

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »

Sorry - yeah - that was what I was trying to say . . .

. . . the black and white wires go to the regulator connectors in the loom.  Everything else is contained in the plastic plug.
Hi I to have replaced my rectifier what did you do with the earth from the regulator as I have just left mine lose.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
Not bought one yet but will let u know

Amos
Amos

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal