Author Topic: re:old log book  (Read 5280 times)

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
re:old log book
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
hi guys
           whats my chances of getting hold of the logbook of a 1970 CB750 it went missing years ago, all i have is the engine and the rolling frame,both numbers are intact and not messed with, i have known this bike for about thirty years and it has been off the the road for some time and there is no reg number ,all i know it was a J registration and that the bike was originally red because i swapped some customised parts i had for his tank air box and fork shrouds over twenty years ago,  he did not have on the road at that time,i think i can get an age related plate but i would like too have the original and try and get a bit more of its history i have been told i can apply for logbook without the registration number and just use the frame number has anybody ever done this ? i will try and trace old logbook in mean time cheers steff
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:16:19 PM by steff750 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: re:old log book
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
If it never had a new style V5 the old registration cannot be traced by Swansea, so you will have to go the age related way with a proof of year letter, best one is from Honda, Mot and insurance on frame number and visit to the nearest VRO with tax and registration money.

If you want more details on hoew to ring me on 07795162623 Sunday to Thrursday inclusive AFTER 8pm, don't withold your number or i won't answer!!

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »
I don't suppose you have an old tax disc or mot cert as these would give you your registration. After that, DVLA will not give out the registration based on the frame/engine numbers. I tried that with a bike about 5 years ago and the guy at Swansea knew the reg, but would not tell me and suggested the moy on the frame no etc approach.

Other clutch at straws could be an old photo if you could find one.

Best of luck

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
thanks guys
                  i managed too trace one of the previous owners of the bike ,who did know the number plate,funny we all remember our best rides lol. a quick check with the DVLA confirms its a red HONDA750 registered in 1971 on a J plate last taxed 1988,so i could be in luck .

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
Luck certainly was on your side. Great result. Just £25 for a new log book then

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
Let us know how you get on Steff  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
ok i have gone the route of " apply for new logbook v5" its in the lap of the gods now (DVLA) so anything can happen ,i will keep you posted,but it could be a while? cheers steff

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Hi Steff, Could you point me in the right direction to start this process. My 550 hasn't been taxed since the 80's and I still have the green book.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
lol no its a minefield ,Bryanj and Seamus can put you in the right direction,i would think your best bet is apply for the new V5 first, i had a hell of a job registering a bike from northern ireland with old green logbook and all correct paperwork,in the end i had too MOT the bike with the frame number before they would accept it, cheeky buggers offered me a age related plate when it finally went through,i said ill keep the Irish plate thank you very much. good luck with it anyway

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »
I'm not looking forward to this, my frame was bought new from Silvers and doesn't have any numbers on it. :(
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Lester, you stamp your own number into it. Give me a ring tomorrow night (Sunday) after 8pm on 07795162623 and I will give you some help/ideas. I don't answer witheld numbers by the way

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »
hi guys just to let you know i received my new logbook today 21/7/2012 about five weeks after i applied for it,i still don't know what they actually did to recover the details ,as i gave them all the information in the first place ,the only thing i did not know was it only had 4 previous owners, although i knew the last two anyway lol. but they did send out a confirmation letter on the 4/7/2012 saying that they are looking into it ,and it would be processed after the 18/7/2012 awe sweet. I'm wondering now if its worth me going the full hog and shell out another fiver for the history of the two other owners,as in olden times this service was free and you also had the old green logbooks . BTW i have been told to sorn or tax the bike as soon as possible as the new owner could get done for no tax lol they are crafty buggers. cheers guys
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:00:34 AM by steff750 »

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
BTW i have told to sorn or tax the bike as soon as possible as the new owner could get done for no tax lol they are crafty buggers. cheers guys

You don't need to sorn a vehicle if it hasn't been taxed since Dec 2001 or thereabouts. I found this out on an information pamphlet I was sent along with a new V5. Of course I let my son borrow the pamphlet and it can't be found now. :(

Well done with your reg. My application was sent last week, I hope it goes as smoothly as yours.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
You don't need to sorn a vehicle if it hasn't been taxed since Dec 2001 or thereabouts
ok thanks lester i did'nt know that,altough i did read sometime ago that if a vehicle had been been untaxed three years before they introduced the declare sorn, that there was no need to do it, so we might be on the same wavelenth there,well i aint taking any chances so gone and declared sorn

Offline Darkness

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
You don't need to sorn a vehicle if it hasn't been taxed since Dec 2001 or thereabouts. I found this out on an information pamphlet I was sent along with a new V5. Of course I let my son borrow the pamphlet and it can't be found now. :(

Take care because a couple of extracts from the advice on DirectGov.UK on when SORN is needed are:

'SORN applies to all tax classes including those where no duty is payable, such as historic and disabled tax classes.'

'You must make a SORN if one of the following applies:

•if you buy an untaxed vehicle and do not tax it'

'SORN isn’t needed if:

•your vehicle was last taxed before 31 January 1998'

So my reading of their advice is that you must SORN your bike, but SORN isn't needed????? ??? ::)

I wonder what the guy in the wig thinks?

CB 500 Four K1 - In more pieces than shown, but now shinier.
'93 m900 Monster in red - Original and best of breed.
'95 Cagiva Elefant 750

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal