Author Topic: Genuine or pattern  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Genuine or pattern
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
Need to get a set of rings for the nK1 as I have finally sorted out barrels and pistons, genuine are £26 a set and pattern at £14 a set, so a fair saving over 4 sets. Any thoughts? Cannot really see how you can go too far wrong here, but willing to listen to experience.

Cheers

Seamus

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Genuine or pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »
Can't speak from experience with rings but during my F1 rebuild I have had nothing but trouble with pattern parts and have ended up spending more money when I have had to replace crap bits with originals.

Bearing in mind the hassle of just removing a motor I'd go OEM personally, you'd probably be OK with rings but do you want to take that chance? its only £48 ............. whats that? a tank of fuel probably under this government.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »
Only thing I say is if its from Dave Silver I trust his judgement and dont think he would ever sell crap, others no experience so cant say

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
Seamus
I too are in your dilemma.I am a great believer you get what you pay for.With all motor parts is really worth it mate?My dealings with DS is great but I have had a couple times of (not had any complaints with this part) and that was with Keyster kits and we have heard all about them haven't we?
I agree with Waggles all that work and what if they fail?Its up to you.
Hope this helps
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
Honda parts work, pattern parts may work, if you go down the latter route and have a problem you will have to get the motor out strip it buy the OEM parts anyway and the new gaskets set to do the work. For the small amount of extra cash involved I would go OEM every time, looking at the overall cost of restoring these bikes (scary) it's nothing.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »
Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate your views.

Bryan, I am buying from DS, so I will ask the question, but I suspect a guarded reply. Probably go for the Honda parts as I will be spending on gaskets, valve guides and a few seals at the same time.

Cheers all

Seamus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal