Author Topic: Rebores  (Read 2153 times)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Rebores
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:44:50 PM »
Does anyone have a rough idea of price for reboring my 550? I was looking at those 600cc big bore kits from Japan.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Online steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Re: Rebores
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:32:09 AM »
last time i done it lester was on a cb750 plus 50 oversize with a local guy to me it cost £80, he bored the barrels to match the pistons not sure how long ago(5-10 is a good(safe) guess)the years are flying by?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:46 AM »
It'l be costly mate as the last 500 rebore i paid for was £110 and you have to double that as they have to bore the block to fit the liners then the liners to fit the pistons

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
I do happen to know a 650 set of barrells will fit streight on, but have yet to actually do more than drop the 650 barrels and head loosely in place, sans pistons. I think it's about £20 - £25 per bore for a streight rebore, and as Brian said, they'll be removing the old liners and machineing etc to fit new ones. If you do decide to go this way if you have a good set of barrels / pistons that dont need work, then I'd suggest keeping them as spares (or selling them on to offet the costs of works) and using a set of barrels with shot bores where if things don't work out to plan you'll still have a good std set. I have a couple of shot barrels (one had a conrod break a liner, others are plain rusty and could probably dig out a set that have good fins but dud bores if you wanted.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
The 650 bore is not much different from the 550, they altered the stroke to up the capacity

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I didn't realise the liners needed removed. Sounds like too much trouble/expense.
Thanks for your offer matthew.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
Now you got me thinking mate, i know it's new liners on a 500 but just possible it may not be on 550--BUT if not the liners will be very thin

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
I was quoted £20 a pot to bore to pistons I supplied - that was on my z1100r to fit a Wiseco forged 1170cc big bore kit. So £80 for rebore. They said they would do my spare set of Honda barrells aswel for £140 all in. Thats was last year at a place near me. That was for the whole job piston matched, but I insist on doing my own finish honing as I am a 2-stroke nut and appreciate the difference 0.0005" or so can make.

550 liners are fine for 600cc kits. Its 500's that need all the new liners and crankcase opening up. I have bored a 500 to a 550 to avoid machining  cases to fit a 550 barrel.

Back in the early eighties I used std Kawasaki GPZ305 pistons. Its now on +.5mm O/s of those. I had alot of messing about though with copper head gasket, combustion chamber re-shaping, and compression ratio calculations. Hight lift cams gave me another problem. It was alot of effort, but the difference was amazing, 750+ performance.

The very same  engine now has a stock cam with bores honed and new 305 pistons and rings and I must say its still pretty amazing. Its one of those big smile fun bikes that people that ride it think 'Bloody hell, I wasn't expecting that'.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal