Author Topic: Seized Screws - Impact driver fail  (Read 4092 times)

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Seized Screws - Impact driver fail
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
A couple of my Tools to End All Tools. You can see by the state of the edge that they take some abuse but they sharpen up wonderfully. The little curved end on the blue one isn't a design feature. I was welting it one day and a chunk pinged out. These blades are brittle so be careful. I always wear safety glasses, gloves, boots, high vis and a condom when using them.

Plenty of coppaslip on the threads, Bryan!
I was wondering where I could find some rubber or silicone balls or other plugging material to poke in the open back end of the thread to stop it getting wet and cruddy again . . .  Anyone done anything like that?
1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
...to stop it getting wet and cruddy again

I think that any water resistant lubricant like copper slip, moly 40/60 or marine lube does the job... plus avoiding pressure wash and heavy chemicals like holy water...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
If it still exists try Shell Barbatia 4 grease---Not even salt water gets through it

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »

I was wondering where I could find some rubber or silicone balls or other plugging material to poke in the open back end of the thread to stop it getting wet and cruddy again . . .  Anyone done anything like that?

What's wrong with a bit of silicone?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of something solid I could squidge in but pick out easily if necessary.  With the copperslip in there, silicone would have trouble adhering and if you use acetoxy cure it can cause it's own corrosion problems.
1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »
I don't think silicone would have a problem. I've used stuff called Tigerseal that will stick to almost anything, I think Sikaflex is the same idea.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »
You've just rung a bell, Les! I have a tube of gunge somewhere in my collection of tubes of gunge of something like that. I got it to seal a joint between a metal staircase and a brick wall - it certainly stuck like the proverbial and has survived a couple of years external exposure without losing it's flexibility. It might even be usable still!
1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal