Author Topic: Special wheel bearing retainer tools, info needed  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Special wheel bearing retainer tools, info needed
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
Found a source who will make some of the special tools for removing the front and rear wheel bearing retainers.
He's made the 750 rear tool but is unsure if it's the same as the 500/550. Doesn't recall making a front one though.
Can anyone who has these retainer rings lying around or even better the genuine Honda tools please let me know the dimensions, I'd need outside and inside diameter of the 4 castles on the front, on the rear same info but also the diameter of the pins.

Anyone interested in the tools if I can get him to make them, they'll be made of stainless steel and should be better than genuine Honda. As these retainers are getting a little hard to source these days it makes sense to reuse them whenever possible and to do that you need to remove them without damaging them.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: Special wheel bearing retainer tools, info needed
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
hi,
I'd be interested depending on price. I've measured up the front and rear bearing retainers (see photos):

1. Front retainer, part number 44643-300-000 (shared by a wide range of bikes.. CB200, CB350, CB400, CB450, CB500, CB550, CB650, CB750, CB900, CX500, GL1100)
    A: width of slot : 4.3mm
    B: ring width : 3.5mm
    C; outside diameter: 42.7mm
    D: inside diameter: 35.7mm
    E: slot depth: 2mm

2. Rear retainer, part number 41231-323-020  (shared by 500 & 550)

A:outside diameter: 86.8mm
    B: inside diameter: 53.7mm
    C: width between bevels: 11.0mm
    D: overall width: 16.6mm
    E: from ouside circumference to drive hole centre: 10.6mm
    F: from inside circumference to drive hole centre: 5.8mm
    G: drive hole diameter: 8mm
    H: drive hole depth: 4.8mm

Click on the photos to open tham larger to see the dimension annotations.

Hope that helps, might be useful if somone else double checked my measurements ???

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:29:30 PM by Ewan 500 K »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:39 AM »
Have sent the source a link to this thread. Hopefully that very detailed info will be sufficient, thanks Ewan

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »
Can't you make the tool at home? Piece of flat bar 6 inches long; drill two holes in it that match the diameter of the bearing retainer; fit a small nut (only need about a half inch of thread or less) & bolt through each hole to give you the bits youn eed to engage with the retainer. (obviously the diameter of the bolt thread will be slightly smaller than that of the cutouts bits they need to engage in. Total cost - nowt.

Worked for mine!
andy120t

CB650 project
CB400F frame - just missing a few bits...
ZX6R
GSXR 7/11
Triumph 5TA
CB900FZ

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
Yes you can do that, however in most cases it doesn't work, these retainer rings are notoriuosly difficult to remove. Plus you can't torque it up correctly with that sort of home made tool. You should also note that the rear ring is no longer available ANYWHERE, so if you damage it you can't replace it. The front ring is still available, however with that being made of alloy it's very easy to ruin it and how much longer they'll remain available is a matter of conjecture. For the cost of a few quid I'd prefer to have the correct type tool but of course your more than welcome to try and make do with homemade tools, I've made more tha a few of these myself over the years. I've never been able to make a front bearing retainer tool that worked and more than a few of my attempts have resulted in it flying off and potentially damaging something even more valuable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal