Author Topic: Need to borrow a rear wheel bearing retainer  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Need to borrow a rear wheel bearing retainer
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
Anyone have one lying around, I've got one somewhere but it may be stuck in the hub. I need to borrow one for a short while, whilst the special tool to remove it is custom made, thought maybe pics would be suffucient but it appears not.

So if you have one you wouldn't might lending for a while I'd be obliged. These rings are no longer obtainable so removing them intact is even more important these days, to do that you need to have the special tool, even the special tool isn't available to buy now. So we need to have one specially made, hence why this request is so important.

So help out the community and lend me one. I'll then post where these tools are available. The front one is already done, made out of stainless steel and costs £12.99 plus P&P. I'd suspect the rear may cost a little more, probably less than £25 but we need it made first. So have a look and see if you can help out.

PM me if you can help.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: Need to borrow a rear wheel bearing retainer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
Hi odd job , at that price I'll certainly take a front tool. Sorry cant help with a loan of a rear bearing retainer though ... mines stuck inside the wheel  :o
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »
I'd be interested in the retainer removal tools. Sadly I cannot help with a retainer out of the hub as the only one I've tried to shift wouldn't budge even with a bar welded on so I refurbed the hub / drum lining with the bearing intact. I cannot claim to have ever needed to change a rear bearing on a 550/4 or 500/4 yet even with sidecars fitted for most use. Closest i could do is a complete hub with a cracked drum but no rim or spokes but it wouldn't be easy to find or cheap to post.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »
Don't forget the retainer has a left hand thread, so it unscrews the opposite way to normal bolts, in this case you remove it rotating it clockwise.

I'll contact my source and see if a group buy is possible, might be cheaper

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:05:33 AM »
I have one on a spare hub.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »
Any chance you can remove it so I can borrow it for a while?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal