Author Topic: Struggling with a CB550 Cylinder head removal  (Read 2594 times)

Offline SpindleHausen

• View Profile
Struggling with a CB550 Cylinder head removal
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
Always one bolt....

All the rest of the bolts came away easily enough including the back flanged bolt, but I've managed to snap the head off the front 6mm flanged bolt (the central one). I'd hoped that the only threaded part of the bolt would be into the cylinder barrel, and that I could get the head off and then sort it, but the head seems stuck fast.

Does anyone know if the corrosion is just being stubborn, or if the the head and the barrel parts are threaded? Any help gratefully received.

-pete

Offline dickyta2

• View Profile
Re: Struggling with a CB550 Cylinder head removal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
If you`ve definitely got all the bolts out then it`s just being stubborn I reckon.Sometimes when they've been on for a few years they do stick to the base gasket.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
they do get stuck, there is a built in recess for prying head off, one each side.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline SpindleHausen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies all - an update - managed to get the head moving relative to the barrel, so the gasket has now parted company, but the front bolt is still solid tight. There's no sign of it lifting at the top where I sheared the bolt head off, so either it's corroded together at the like concrete, or the stud us threaded in both the head and the barrel. I'll post a photo tomorrow night when I can find the USB lead for the camera!

g'night all

-p

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »
Bolt is only threaded into barrel but corrosion will have filled the hole----wait till you try and get the barrel off!!!

Lots of WD40/Plusgas and some heat from a small plumbers torch will help

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal