Author Topic: some last problems  (Read 2947 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
some last problems
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
Still working on last few jobs on the 500/4, carbs to go back on, exhaust, waiting for a few parts to arrive and also the tank to be painted, so getting there! One small problem is the oil strainer in the sump, it seems to be quite loose in its housing, is this normal ? I worry it might rattle about when running. Also is there a proper way to adjust the clutch using the big screw on the l/h engine case cover?
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: some last problems
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
Answer (1)   Normal

(2) its all in the manual

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
well most of the small jobs done so filled with oil and petrol, started second kick, result! But only running properly on 2 cyls, nos 1 and 2 exhausts are not as hot as the other 2. I suspect carbs, they have been rebuilt and ultrasonically cleaned. Head and barrel have been off one ring replaced and all gaskets renewed. I have not yet looked into it but would like some guesses on the most likely cause. I am feeling a bit like i have been here before, see my previous posts!!

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:59:47 AM »
If its 1 & 2 it can't be spark unless both plugs have given up at exactly the same time There is one petrol feed to 1 & 2 and another to 3 & 4 so check that

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
tank has been cleaned and sealed with new tap and genuine fuel line, petrol is reaching float chambers.Plugs are new.

Offline madoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

There are only three things it can be; petrol, compression and spark.
I know it sounds trite but you will have to go over it all again.

I am new to Jap bikes but I been building up brits and russian stuff, from boxes, and it's easy to get something wrong.
Just because stuff is new then don't assume.
Swap plugs between working/non-working cylinders ?  I have had new plugs fail on more than one occasion; I kid you not.

I just re-aligned the cam on my new CB550 TWICE (see another post) because of what to me (used to big chunky stuff) looked ok. Second time around I didn't tighten the valve adjusters and one had worked loose enough to effectively be doing nothing (running on three). Should I know better .. of course...

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »
yes a methodical approach is the best, will have a look at the weekend, thanks everyone i think having people to bounce ideas off is one of the best parts of this forum.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »
I am pretty sure leads are correct but will check. I dont think the two cylinders are firing at all, but engine sounds ok, it will be something daft!

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
Got it sorted! I checked coils and plugs, was all ok, also checked compression, that was ok too so had to be carbs. I had them ulrasonically cleaned and replaced one of the carb bodies, no one cyl. it was running fairly well on three now so i connected up the vaccum gauges and found that no one cyl was way out, so quickly adjusted it and all four chimed in! Well happy, very little to do now for mot, might get a bit of riding in before winter!! Thanks for help everyone, regards Mick

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
Well finally i booked an mot, and of course it rained! But it passed! So i can get it taxed and get a bit of riding in before winter then a few more cosmetic improvements ready for next summer if we get one! Cheers, Mick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal