Author Topic: How to clean up hubs etc  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
How to clean up hubs etc
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »
Hi guys . Although my project isn't a restoration as such, and isn't being built to concours standard I would like things such as engine cases , wheel hubs etc to be finished to a reasonable standard . My question is can  anyone recommend an economical way of cleaning bits and a way of ending up with a decent finish. Cheers Greg "H". 

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: How to clean up hubs etc
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »
Hi,

Im away to get my engine vapour blasted so i will post pics when done,
With the frame,swinger and other bits i am going to get them bead blasted then painted,
I didthink of tackling the engine myself but after looking at 36 years of grime i decided on the vapour route !!!

Ill post pics when done!!!

Stu
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:34:32 AM »
Most ECONOMICAL is to hand finish yourself perhaps with assistance from a dremel or similar. Having gone down that route myself it takes a l-o-n-g time, is VERY boring and strangely on my F1 I found once I had polished out corrosion marks on alloy cases other shadowy marks appeared! they appear to be in the metal itself. Now I could just have strange alloy but I do wonder if some kind of blasting would have got those out too.

My suggestion would be to try hand finishing ( with drills / polishing mops etc ) on a small part first and see if you are likely to have the time and stamina! remember cases / barrels etc just need to be smooth and clean as they are painted.

If I ever get involved in another resto I would go down the blasting route, dunno which kind as I have no experience, others will advise. Make sure though if you use any kind of grit blasting to ensure all internals are scrupulously clean and all traces of the media removed

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
I look forward to seeing your pics stu  ;) . I think I'll get the frame sand blasted , possibly get the engine vapour blasted and just hand finish smaller components . Anybody know of anyone in the N/west that they could recommend to do the work . Regards Greg "H".

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »
WOW just out of interest how much to have the calipers done?
pete

Offline dazm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
Another vote for triple S from me, I've just had my comstars from my F2 powder coated in Gloss black and they are fantastic (well as good as a pair of comstars can be) Both wheels and cush drive worked out at £120 for the finish and bead blasting which isn't cheap but then again the comstars are not the easiest things to get right.  Top tip is to remove as much grease and oil as you can before taking them in.

Cheers daz

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
Just had a look on the Triple S site.They appear to do very nice work. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal