Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1646 times)

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
Hi Guys

Just thought I would introduce myself and say something about me bike(s)! I have been around bikes since I was 15. Am now 44years young! I have owned loads of bikes in my time some of the better road going ones were a 76 RD350, 77 Suzuki GT750, 83 Kawasaki Z1100LTD (import from the US), and a GPZ1000RX.

I had to take some time out 4 years ago when I suffered a stroke. So I sold my GPZ thou and hung up my leathers and resigned myself to my fate. Or so it seemed but after a lot of soul searching I decided to not let my body get the better of me! After regular gym work, and buying a dog to walk everyday, I am fighting fit now. Earlier this year I got a Honda 100cc Bali EX to wizz around town on. But I had a real hankering for something bigger, much bigger, again! But the finances just were not there so I began looking for a restoration project. After a few near misses (I really wanted a CX500 Custom) I settled in the end for a CB650CB Custom. Another US import!

It is an 81 model. It has 12 months ticket and is pretty sound apart from a few bit missing and some little jobs to do. The guy bought it for a cafe racer project that he never got around to starting so I rescued it. I aim to put it back to original and ride it. I think it would be a shame to do a 100% pristine restoration job on it. It needs the carbs balancing as it pop and bangs when cold (I thought a 30 year old was meant to do this anyway? Apparently not?). It needs attention to a split in the seat. The exhausts are off a CB650 and are 4 into 2 affairs, but I am not sure if they are original or not as according to my research they should be 4 into 4 on the Cb Custom varient?, so they may need changing. It also has no grab rail, the headlight is not original, it is missing the head light brackets (has a pair of after market clip on affairs!), and the chrome trim across the front with the Honda badge on it is missing. It has covered 25K miles so I think it has spent a lot of time languishing in somebody's garage not being used.

So expect a few questions as I deal in and find what secrets are lurking for me!

Cheers

John
M0WBY

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:16:10 PM by brummieCB650Custom »
John Willby
M0WBY
Slack jawed knuckle dragging Northamptonshire peasant labourers since c.1670

Offline Paull

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »
Sounds good to me.
25,000 mile, its not run in yet.
These 4 block hondas are good for big miles 250,000+.
Good luck with it.
Paull
S**t Happens

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Reality hits now I have the bike home but it is not insurmountable and considering it has not ridden in anger since 2003 I suppose some work is to be expected!
John Willby
M0WBY
Slack jawed knuckle dragging Northamptonshire peasant labourers since c.1670

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal